Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Converting wav files attached to email.

Is there a way to reencode wav files with a different codec before sending to selected user's mailbox. The goal is to open and play messages on portable devices that only support uncompressed wav files. Unfortunately using PCM codec to encode all messages is not good for a number of reasons.

Thank you,

Alex.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Cisco Employee

Re: Converting wav files attached to email.

No, the files will be stored in the format you select with the "Set Record Format" - by default this is G711 MuLaw. You'll find this tool under the Audio Management section in the Tools Depot on your desktop. This, of course, sets the record format for all incoming recordings, it's not adjustable on a per user/per session basis.

Normally when dealing with hand held devices I advice folks to try GSM 6.10. I've had good luck with that code - it sounds good, has decent compression and works on most hand held devices I've run across. You might want to give it a whirl.

4 REPLIES
Cisco Employee

No, the files will be stored in the format you select with the "Set Record Format" - by default this is G711 MuLaw. You'll find this tool under the Audio Management section in the Tools Depot on your desktop. This, of course, sets the record format for all incoming recordings, it's not adjustable on a per user/per session basis.

Normally when dealing with hand held devices I advice folks to try GSM 6.10. I've had good luck with that code - it sounds good, has decent compression and works on most hand held devices I've run across. You might want to give it a whirl.

Anonymous
N/A

I did. It worked on GSM networks, but not on Sprint. The only wav file I was able to open on Treo 600 is encoded with PCM codec. I was wandering if there is a way to intercept file before attaching to email and reencode it. Thank you.

Cisco Employee

No, you can't jump in and reencode the wav file - at least not on our end of the pond - there may be gnarly tools that work on the Exchange server itself to convert attachments like that but I'm not familiar with them and I'm pretty sure TAC would not support them regardless...

Anonymous
N/A

Thanks a lot, I'm already digging in that direction.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content