I changed 7960 phone load and restarted cm. Once I did that I lost the corporate directory option from the phones. Now when you hit directory the bottom of the display says "Invalid directory URL" and the only sib menu's under directory are missed, received, & placed calls.
I've tried adding the P003E310 patch, changing back to the "D" load and running the phones from both publisher and subscriber, but can't get the directory back.
The CCMUser virtual directory did have read access.
I needed to add "Everyone" to the User folder permissions. This allowed users to get to their user page and see the corporate directory. But everytime I did a directory search I got a XML error (4) display. Once I changed my phone load from the P003E310 to the P003A310, the search started working.
I can't remember a bug off the top of my head but for some reason I am thinking that the E310 load may have a problem with regards to that. I would say go ahead and open a case and see what TAC can tell you.
These are the paths to get to each CCX logs through CLI. They may be helpful if you are having issues accessing RTMT or downloading logs through it.
If you want to download them you have to prefix "file get " and you can add one of the options (re...