cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Creating multiple call routing rules.

d1nnsear
Level 1
Level 1

Hi. I have a requirement to create several dozen Forwarded Calls call routing rules & I was wondering if there's a tool I can use for creating these?

I've had a trawl around & cannot find one, but it'd be quite useful to import via csv for eg as the only difference for all the rules will be the Xtn.

Cheers for any advice in advance.

NJ

8 Replies 8

Markus Schneider
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Sorry, unfortunately there's currently nothing but the SA to create call routing rules.

As a follow up to this - can you tell me why you need to create so many call forwarding rules? It's generally a bad idea to be creating that many routing rules since there's almost always a better approach and troublshooting such large numbers of rules can be a real headache. I've seen a number of sites that have use routing rules to do things that really didn't require them...

If you tell us what your scenario is maybe we can come up with a better alternative.

We wanna kinda share a mailbox between several users. We can't use Alternate Xtns because of the limit of 9 and we have more than 9 users of multiple users groups.

Basically we wan't a call coming in on PhA to Divert No Ans to a shared line, so give other users (>9) the opportunity to ans the call on their shared instances of the line (we do not wish to give these users VM). If no-one then answers the call we want to divert to the original Xtns mailbox.

If we can't use the alternate xtn feature, routing rules do exactly what we want. I do share your reservations though & if we could find a cleaner way that'd be great. We've tried using another VM partition on CCM for the line & that does seem to work, but it seems simpler to me to have routing rules in Unity.

Cheers for now,

NJ.

Yeah, that's a challange. You might want to check out the Extension Remapping feature - it's been in Unity for a while but doesn't get used often - if you have nice contiguous ranges of extensions you want to use, this can be much, much easier to setup than a bunch of routing rules. Check out the blurb I put in the Audiotext Applications paper:

http://www.ciscounitytools.com/Applications/Audio%20Text%20Applications%20in%20Unity.doc

It starts on page 38 - might be a smoother mechanism for you and it'll definitely scale better than a bunch of routing rules - it does present a big more of a challange to troubleshoot, however.

Cheers Jeff, that looks like a pretty nifty feature & should do the trick aswell. I've never had the need to use Xtn Remap b4, but now could be the time... It could be a mare troubleshooting though (especially if someone forgot about them!!).

Cheers,

NJ.

Do changes to the .exm file happen instantly ie. without having to restart the Unity services?

The last time I tested them they got loaded at startup time only - although it's been a while since I've done anything with them so I'd have to retest on a recent 4.0(x) server to know for sure.

If you could test it on 4.0(3) that'd be sound. I can't get back to my office lab for another week now & I don't wanna try it on the production environ.

If we have to restart Unity services each time me make a change with xtn remap I think we'll have to suck it with the routing rules option.