Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creating Unity accounts the hard way...

I was looking forward to just importing the 200+ accounts I need, but it seems the Bulk Import Wizard isn't going to allow that.

Our standard Exchange alias is First_Last, and when using the web/SA to create accounts our standard works fine. The BIW doesn't like underscores though, so it looks 200+ accounts to be added by hand.

I don't suppose there is a trusting version of BIW that leaves it up to the administrator to make sure that their data is clean and just imports what it is told....

5 REPLIES
Cisco Employee

Re: Creating Unity accounts the hard way...

I'm not sure why they are enforcing this on imports... I think there's a set of characters they allow for various fields on new creates and imports across the boards and they're just blindly enforcing them regardless. Just tried this exact scenario out on the new 4.0(1) import and it does the same thing. I've sent up a flag to the DB boys (responsible for the builk import these days) to see what they have to say...

Cisco Employee

by the way... you didn't indicate which version of Unity you were on - if you're on 4.0(1) there may be a work around you can use here...

We are trying to deploy 4.0(1). I've been working through a number of last minute quirks , with this being what appears to be the only remaining issue.

The go live date is 2/14/03, so if there is a work-around, or the DB folks can 'fix' the Bulk Import tool before then, I'll have a fairly happy team on my hands.

Cisco Employee

Yeah, you can work around this easily in 4.0(1) – I just tried it on my test box and it works like a champ.

All the field definitions and allowable characters for the new import tool are defined in an XML file called “ImportSpec.xml” that’s found in the \commserver\utilities\ciscoUnityBulkImport\ directory (where CUBI is installed). If you pop open this file with a text editor, find the section that starts with:

In there you will find the definition for alias which looks like so:

The “[[:alnum:]]” nodation there means alpha numeric only. To add underscore (or any other character for that matter) you only need to add it here such that it looks like this:

Save it and re run the import tool, it should not bark about underscores any longer.

Hot diggity that fixes it. I'll have the happy tech who no longer need to key in all these accounts think happy thoughts in your general direction....

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content