Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

cRTP on links T3 and greater, maybe up to OC192!

Hi all,

Has anyone ever tested cRTP on links like OC3, OC48 ,etc? I know most have the opinion that cRTP on an OC48 is not needed. However suppose one wanted to be max efficient right from the start? Has it been tested and if so did anything break? I'd answer this question myself but I don't have the opportunity to touch this sort of gear. Does IOS even allow this command on these types of links? L2 is assumed to be PPP, ie IP/PPP/OC48.

Thanks,

Vaughn

• Other Collaboration Voice and Video Subjects
3 REPLIES

Re: cRTP on links T3 and greater, maybe up to OC192!

Hi all,

I has a thought that I want to post here to supplement what I asked in my above questions. I know the concern ties into increased router-CPU load, however with the various forms of fast-switching and route caching, wouldn't all subsequent Voice/cRTP packets be fast switched? Thus the added CPU load increase would almost be zero? Yes maybe no?

Thanks,

Vaughn

What model of the core layer 3 switch or router do you use?

I was able to push up to 117 voice trunks on a 7206 before the VXR models came out. And yes these packets where all fast switched. With 7206 VXR using a 400Mhz CPU I'm sure the router would be able to process at least 20-30 more voice channels. And yes, these calls where sent out via a T3 link, even though no document talks about running cRTP on links geater then T1. I'm not sure about OC-xx pipes.

According to the DQOS course its not worth putting cRTP on links greater than 2mb, as it introduces more delay by the amount of processing that needs to take place.

Views
Helpful
Replies