cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CSCdu75777 -- Greetings do not play back

kechambe
Level 7
Level 7

This bug is popping up at a lot of sites so I wanted to get a heads up post out here. <br><br>This effects only CallManager + Unity integrations using a TSP. <br><br>On calls using a codec other than the codec the 'recorded greeting' is recorded in, the caller will intermittently hear silence in place of the 'recorded greeting'. This appears to be more prevalent on calls from IOS gateways though we have had three reports of phones doing it too.<br><br>For example, if my greeting is recorded with G.711 and the call setup is using G.729 the caller will hear '(silence) -- You may record you message at the tone...' about 50%-100% of the time.<br><br>We are still working on finding root cause but what we know is that only TSP 1.0.0.32 has the problem. We are unable to reproduce the problem with 1.0.0.28 or 1.0.0.36. We were able to reproduce the problem with TSP 1.0.0.32 + 2.4.6.102/2.4.6.126/2.4.6.135. <br><br>The TSP is sending 'voice' packets to the router but the packets contain no sound. Looks kinda like the TSP is firing blanks. We also noticed that this only happens with greetings. Prompts are fine regardless of codec. <br><br>TSP 1.0.0.28 and 1.0.0.36 both don't have the problem and are available on CCO. If you are experiencing this you need to move to one of these TSPs.<br><br>Keith<br><br><br>Keith Chambers<br>Unity Technical Lead<br>Unified Voice Team, San Jose<br>Cisco Systems <br>kechambe@cisco.com<br>

11 Replies 11

Not applicable

I am also having this problem with the .28 TSP, .126 Unity and 3.0.11 CM

Interesting.

The problem was that in 1.0.0.32 the TSP would send the connected callstate to Unity too early. Specifically, we only waited for CCM to acknowledge that we were offhook, at which point the TSP would tell the Miu we were connected, and then the Miu would begin playing the first prompt/stream. For the 1.0.0.33 TSP, we made a change to wait until CCM had also sent us a message saying that not only were we offhook, but it had also finished setting up the RTP stream, before the TSP would signal the Miu that it was Connected. So, what could happen in 1.0.0.32 was that the Miu would begin playing wave data before the RTP stream was setup, so the first prompt wouldn't get played correctly. Then, by the time the next prompt began playing, CCM would have finished setting up the RTP stream, so that subsequent prompts would be fine. At any rate, this is fixed in 1.0.0.33 and later (which would explain why the problem is fixed for sites that upgraded to 1.0.0.36).

For TSP 1.0.0.29, a change was made to fix a defect where notifications fail over a gateway. During the investigation of that defect, we found that when placing a call over an analog gateway, CCM would send us the message indicating the RTP stream was setup before the call had actually been answered. The reason for this is that analog DTMF requires a media path. Version 1.0.0.28 of the TSP waited for only the message from CCM indicating the RTP stream was setup before telling the Miu that the call was Connected, so the Miu would think the call was answered before the called party had actually picked up. To fix this problem with 1.0.0.29, we changed it so that the TSP waited for CCM to send the message indicating that it had finished going off hook before signaling to the Miu that we were Connected (rather than the message indicating the RTP stream was setup). Later, we found that depending upon the network configuration, CCM would send these messages (indication of off hook and indication of RTP stream) in different orders, so for 1.0.0.33, the TSP was changed so that it must receive both messages before signaling to the Miu that we were Connected.

We have not had any other sites complain of this issue with 1.0.0.28 or 1.0.0.36. Please verify your TSP version by right clicking on AvSkinny.tsp in the system32 directory and going to properties. Then click the version tab. What does that version number say?

Keith

Keith Chambers
Unity Technical Lead
Unified Voice Team, San Jose
Cisco Systems
kechambe@cisco.com

Not applicable

The TSP version I'm running is .28, the problem only appeared after a system upgrade of CCM, Unity and TSP to 3.0.11, .126, .32
I started getting complaints about greetings no playing. I downgraded the TSP since this is where most of the problems come from. The complaints still continued. I had been running .28 for a while before the upgrade without the complaints. I will try the .36 TSP this weekend and hope it goes away.

bbickerstaff
Level 1
Level 1

I am having this exact same problem with the following config.

CCM 3.1
Unity 3.0(1)
TSP 3.0.2.0

We have the G.729 codec installed on Unity. When I setup a VM box It prompts me to record my name. When it plays back, I hear nothing. When I do a lookup in the directory by 'Spell by Name' it says For... and then you hear nothing, at extention 2366001 press #.

What am I missing?

What codec are you recording in? You can check this with the setrecordformat utility in the \Commserver\utilities directory on the Unity.

What codec are you talking to the Unity with? You can check this by pushing the 'i' button twice on a 7960/40 when the call is in progress.

Keith

Keith Chambers
Unity Technical Lead
Cisco Systems
kechambe@cisco.com

I am talking to Unity with G.729. At the present I can't get to the console of the Unity server to run the unitility in the commserver\utilities. If I went through the install procedure (regedt and install of G.729 codec) Am I safe to say that Unity is using G.729. I though that In 3.0 if you installed both codec's, unity would utilize both of them.

Can you try switching the region in the CallManager over to G.711 and see if it starts working?

Keith

Keith Chambers
Unity Technical Lead
Cisco Systems
kechambe@cisco.com

Not applicable

OK. Now I am able to record on one Unity server and here my recorded name. By the way I have two Unity 3.0 servers installed, using dialing domains between the two. I can call into Unity server A and do a lookup of a user that resides on Unity server B. I now can "hear" my recorded name. However, when I setup a VM box on Unity server A, I am still not able to hear my recorded name. This is what I have done to troubleshoot.

1. Did a resync of the TSP and verified that G729 was enabled in the application event log.

2. Using the SetRecordFormat Utility, Both Unity Servers are set to Format = CCITT U-law, Attributes = 8.000KHz, 8Bit, 7kb/sec.

3. Put phone into a G711 region. This made everyting worse.

4. Verified both servers are using the same TSP (3.0.2)

5. Went through the troubleshooting guide for G729, etc.

All Servers, CCM's and Unities are on the same network segment. I can't understand why on one server I can get recording to work and the other I can't. All of my settings are the exact same on each server. Help!!!

OK. Now I am able to record on one Unity server and here my recorded name. By the way I have two Unity 3.0 servers installed, using dialing domains between the two. I can call into Unity server A and do a lookup of a user that resides on Unity server B. I now can "hear" my recorded name. However, when I setup a VM box on Unity server A, I am still not able to hear my recorded name. This is what I have done to troubleshoot.

1. Did a resync of the TSP and verified that G729 was enabled in the application event log.

2. Using the SetRecordFormat Utility, Both Unity Servers are set to Format = CCITT U-law, Attributes = 8.000KHz, 8Bit, 7kb/sec.

3. Put phone into a G711 region. This made everyting worse.

4. Verified both servers are using the same TSP (3.0.2)

5. Went through the troubleshooting guide for G729, etc.

All Servers, CCM's and Unities are on the same network segment. I can't understand why on one server I can get recording to work and the other I can't. All of my settings are the exact same on each server. Help!!!

Not applicable

I have just rebuilt my Lab system with CM3.0.11 Unity 2.4.6.135 and TSP1.0.39 as per the release notes config recommendation.

I can't record any spoken names - Unity just doesn't hear them, you go thru the record personal name dialogue, hear the beep, say a name and it just repeats the "record a personal name dialogue".

If I try to record from a phone using the Unity subscriber interface, I get the same thing, the record occurs and when you play it back there is no speech.

I can hear the pre-recorded Unity messages OK.

This problem first occured when I upgraded to Unity 2.46.135 it was fine on .102

I have checked the TAPI drivers etc, but I am at a loss now to see what else to try. The registry hack didn't look like a good idea as playback is OK.

Any suggestions most welcome

Solution Architect
MCSE Unity SE
Compaq Global Services

Not applicable

I fixed my particular problem, but it was so weird I have put a seperate posting up for the fix.

Solution Architect
MCSE Unity SE
Compaq Global Services