Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CSCea26846 Bug-When GC is down, VM not delivered

Current environ: 4.0.(2) Ex2k standalone svrs with seperate DC/GC servers.

Has anyone successfully tried the workaround suggested in this bug? If so does it work & how did you go about it?

The workaround is to make Unity's partner Exchange server a Global Catalog server as well. What if your partner svr is a standalone Ex svr? You'd have to promote this svr to be a DC in order to make it a GC aswell.

This is a big no-no as far as I'm aware if Ex2k is already installed on a standalone W2k box. It's fair enough if you're just building the svr, make it a DC & then install Ex2k (as per VM only installs), but I personally would not recommend attempting to promote a standalone E2k box to be a DC after E2k is already installed.

Has anyone been brave enough to do this? Did you have to re-install the whole Ex2k svr & restore mailboxes etc from backup? What are the limits for subscribers/mailboxes with this config (I'm looking at having >750 users on this box). The main thing is though making a standalone Ex2k box a DC? I'd be surprised if this is recommended by Microsoft, but I would be interested if anyone has any MS/Cisco docs that recommend/document this procedure.

My site is experiencing this bug & we'd like to sort it, but don't feel to comfortable with this.

16 REPLIES
Gold

Re: CSCea26846 Bug-When GC is down, VM not delivered

There is no reason that you can't promote an existing Exchange 2000 Server to become an Domain Controller.

Until Microsoft can deliver a patch for this issue this is the best workaround that we can provide.

Thanks,

Keith

OK. Cheers.

NJ.

If you promote a VMO Unity box, do you have uninstall Unity prior to running dcpromo ?

--Jon

Gold

No you do not but it is not support for Unity to be a DC unless it is a standalone machine. Promoting it to become a DC after it is already installed implies that it is a member of an existing infrastructure and therefore should not be a DC.

Thanks,

Keith

Yes and no... We have a remote site with a CM and Unity in it's own domain, voice-mail only. When we added this site, I joined the server to the domain, but installed E2k locally as this is also a VMO, but (correct me if I'm wrong) I thought the Unity Servers needed to be in the same domain for digital networking to forward VMs between sites.

The problem I am running into is that if the if the WAN connection fails, this Unity doesn't answer any calls, doesn't take VMs... nothing... it is dead until the other server can be found again even though this server has everything local to it (with the exception of the AD usernames/passwords).

Gold

Hmmm I didn't think of that.

Well yeah Unity should be a DC and you want to make it a GC as well. Once it is both make sure to do this:

Open regedit and point these values to the local machine.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Active Voice\Directory Connectors\DirSynchAD\1.00\Domains\\DefaultDomainController

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Active Voice\Directory Connectors\DirSynchGlobalCatalog\1.00\Directory\DefaultGlobalCatalogServer

Then restart the AvDSGlobalCatalog service and the AvDSAD service.

Lastly open DohPropTest.exe from \CommServer\TechTools (ignore the password) and do a full resynch for the AD and GC Monitor.

After that you should be golden...

Keith

Keith,

We were successful. One thing though, after running dcpromo and rebooting, Unity would not start and gave us an error regarding the service accound and improper permissions. We assumed that this was due to the fact that local security policies were no longer in effect. We ran Permissions Wizard and that seemed to fix everything.

Thanks,

--Jon

Jon,

just to confirm. You promoted your live Unity system from a member server to become a DC using dcpromo? Did you already have Ex2k installed on this box? Out of interest how many users do you/does this config support? Does it support over 1000 users?

Ta,

NJ

Hi,

Yes. It was a VMO Unity server setup as a member server with E2K installed. Problem was that when the remote VMO Unity server was rebooted (or we lost the WAN link, etc.), we would not be able authenticate users and sometimes you just get a fast busy when calling Unity.

Between both sites, probably about 250 users.

--Jon

Has this bug been fixed? The bug report indicates that it has been fixed in 4.0(3.38)?

Is there a defect ID or something to reference with Microsoft? I'm interested in seeing this fixed somehow..

Cisco Employee

This will be released with 4.0(4) - it requires Unity to reconnect to a new GC "on the fly" if the currently active GC is unresponsive or can't be contacted. There's additional administration setup work to determine which GC(s) to try in the event the main one goes down, how many times to try before giving up and moving on, time between retries etc...

Sweet kudos! That's great.. A big relief for us. I know 4.0.3 just came out so I shouldn't be expecting 4.0.4 soon?

Cheers

Gold

Not before 2004.

I have been doing some testing on the new DC/GC reconnect feature in an engineer build of code and it looks pretty solid already. Once released it's going to make life much easier for customers, partners and TAC. :-)

Kudos here folks. Looking forward to this one.

Out of interest is Unity going more SQL based in the future though so this DC/GC availability issue for VM sitting on Ex2k will not be an issue or will Unity be sitting on E3k etc going forward?

If Unity is not gonna rely on Exchange so much in the future will you be sticking with SQL? If/when is this planned?

I just wanna get ahead of the game & get my dbase skills updated!

Ta,

NJ.

Just a question - we have a problem where when we bring the GC down Exchange, not only Unity comes down with it..

Is this normal when we are considering this problem?

Thanks!

Yeah, this is expected behaviour with Exchange 2000. Ex2k requires connectivity to the GC for it to function normally. If ur GC goes down, then you will have Ex2k issues and therefore Unity issues aswell. You can get around this issue by making more than one DC in ur W2k domain a GC or making ur E2k box a DC/GC aswell.

If the GC the Unity box is connected to goes down u will have to hack the registry as above (until 4.0.4) to point Unity at an active GC.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content