Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

CSS partition limit

I believe that this has cropped up before :

Any given CSS can only have a maximum of 512 characters worth of partitions in it (including delimeters) before you get an error.

However, I have over 160 PLAR partitions to define, for our dealer's broker lines (8 dealers, all using full, twin 7914 expansion bars = 8*28 lines, or 224 partitions worth of PLAR lines).

Now, obviously, I can create all the PLAR partitions, assign them to the Dealers phone's and everything works... almost.

The gateway must be able to call all of these partitions. However, even if I label them with just two characters, plus the standard 8 partitions I use anyway, I'm going to hit the 512 character limit, since 512 divided by 3 (remembering the delimiter) is only 170.

I don't really want to rename all my paritions to meaningless 2 character codes, and I remember reading about a way of linking one CSS to another via a translation partition.

I've tried this however, and cannot make the gateway call the "linked" partitions.

Has anyone come across this, or point me in the right direction?

Many thanks,

Neil.

2 REPLIES
Gold

Re: CSS partition limit

You may be overlooking a simpler solution.

If you do have a need for hundreds of different PLAR destinations, yes you will need a partition and a CSS and a translation created for each one. As you already know, you assign a CSS searching only that PLAR partition to that line, and that destination's PLAR partition contains a null pattern translation to the destination you want to PLAR to.

If I understand correctly, you're assigning the /source/ phone's directory number into the PLAR partition. That creates unnecessary complexity. Consider putting all of the PLARing lines into a single partition. The translation pattern configuration page allows you to specify a CSS to find the destination pattern, so you can say something like 'translate null to 1234 using CSS_SEARCH_INSIDE' instead of hunting all the PLAR partitions. An example:

Phone 1 DN: 1234:PA_INSIDE

Phone 1 CSS: CSS_PLAR_5678

Phone 2 DN: 5678:PA_INSIDE

Phone 2 CSS: CSS_PLAR_1234

Phone [more] DN: XXXX:PA_INSIDE

Phone [more] CSS: CSS_PLAR_XXXX

CSS 1: CSS_INSIDE searches INSIDE only

CSS 2: CSS_PLAR_1234 searches PA_PLAR_1234 only

CSS 3: CSS_PLAR_5678 searches PA_PLAR_5678 only

CSS [more]: CSS_PLAR_XXXX searches PA_PLAR_XXXX only

Translation 1: null:PA_PLAR_1234 to 1234 with CSS_INSIDE

Translation 2: null:PA_PLAR_5678 to 5678 with CSS_INSIDE

Translation [more]: null:PA_PLAR_XXXX to XXXX with CSS_INSIDE

Your gateway(s) are given CSS_INSIDE and can hit any of your lines. While you still need to add a partition, translation and CSS for each line, this avoids the scaling problem of having to put every single PLAR partition into a single CSS and hunt it for every gateway call. Also, if you have several lines that need to PLAR to the same destination, there's no problem with recycling the PLAR CSS and partition you already have.

Hope this helps!

Views
Helpful
Replies