cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CUCM Pub and Sub Upgrades in isolated environment

sdonnelly41
Level 1
Level 1

I recently created an isolated environment on my BE6K where I have installed 9.1.2 CUCM and then restored from DRS a copy from my production 9.1.2 server. That went fine and it's currently upgraded to 11.5.

My subscriber is physically located at another office and network. I was hoping to do the same steps there, but it looks like a connection to the pub is needed. Is there any way to work around this requirement? Or am I better off moving over my newly upgraded 11.5 server to the production network, and then upgarde the subscriber live? Any thoughts on this?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Manish Gogna
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

What exactly are you trying to accomplish, a simple upgrade or a migration ( with change of hardware )?

Ideally for migrations the exact deployment ( number of servers in the cluster ) should be configured in the lab when you do a install and restore in an isolated environment. If you install the subscriber elsewhere it will do a check for connectivity with Pub before going ahead with the install. 

If you are attempting a migration then you can use the PCD tool that allows you to migrate from existing 9.x to 11.x without affecting existing operations ( using Network Migration which requires changing the IP / hostanme of the servers )

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/pcdadmin/11_6_1/cucm_b_pcd-admin-guide-1161/cucm_b_pcd-admin-guide-1161_chapter_011.html#reference_97FB1071E02B285BCF69F12DDD0F75BB

You can check the link and see if it is useful in your scenario.

Manish

- Do rate useful posts -

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Manish Gogna
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

What exactly are you trying to accomplish, a simple upgrade or a migration ( with change of hardware )?

Ideally for migrations the exact deployment ( number of servers in the cluster ) should be configured in the lab when you do a install and restore in an isolated environment. If you install the subscriber elsewhere it will do a check for connectivity with Pub before going ahead with the install. 

If you are attempting a migration then you can use the PCD tool that allows you to migrate from existing 9.x to 11.x without affecting existing operations ( using Network Migration which requires changing the IP / hostanme of the servers )

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/pcdadmin/11_6_1/cucm_b_pcd-admin-guide-1161/cucm_b_pcd-admin-guide-1161_chapter_011.html#reference_97FB1071E02B285BCF69F12DDD0F75BB

You can check the link and see if it is useful in your scenario.

Manish

- Do rate useful posts -

The hardware is not changing in this scenario. Basically I did not want to interupt operations, and I wanted to perform testing of devices instead of just cutting over. So I have pubs and subs updated for CM and Unity Connection running 11.5 and they are able to communicate. My hope was to shutdown the old 9.1.2 servers and then migrate these over to the production vSwitch and network and run an import of any new messages for Unity. Would this work fine in this scenario?