cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CUE script for dial your extension at any time

Chuck Reid
Level 1
Level 1

I am looking for a script which shows me how to allow people to enter an extension at any time without pressing an option key. How is this done?

8 Replies 8

Chris Deren
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Basically, your extensions cannot overlap with other options. So if you have extensions in 3XXX range you cannot have option 3 for anything, and then in your script option 3 points to logic that callects additinal 3 digits and then redirects the call (assuming 4 digit dial-plan), something like this:

Menu (option)

1. dial by name

2. Sales

3. Collect digits (extension)

finalDestination = option + extension

redirect finalDestination

Chris

Any chance you have a basic script that shows your example above? I think a light is going on in my head!

Thanks,

Chuck

Markus Schneider
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You can use the attached script, just read the README file; or you can download another one that goes with this example:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps5520/products_tech_note09186a008041d950.shtml

It is in the CUE 2.1.1 software download section, I believe.

It is possible to do this with overlapping extensions, as well. I have a sample of that for CUE 2.3.1 or later, but I haven't had many people request that yet or test all the options fully, but if that's absolutely a requirement, then please post a reply.

Hi,

I was wondering how the script would look if I wanted people to have the option to dial an extention while going through other menu options. Maybe I don't have a good handle on what a typical call flow should be. When you hear "you may dial your extension at any time" what does that really mean and how or when is it used? Initially, I was just going to use a press option off a menu and use a get digit string followed by a call redirect. I would appreciate any advice/explanation you have time for as I have only been scripting CRS/CUE for a couple months.

Thanks,

Chuck Reid

From my experience most IVRs just have a prompt such as "if you know your party's extension you may dial it at any time; for sales press 1, for support press 2, etc". Then you collect digits until they quit entering and then you figure out if they entered just one digit (that means its a menu choice) or more (they're dialing an extension). Ordinarily, the menu choices are things like dial-by-name or transferring to some specific extension where it doesn't make sense to additionally collect digits to do a dial-by-extension. I guess the exception might be if it was a (maybe partial) company directory prompt (e.g. 'john at extension 123; jane at extension 124;...') where you might want that. You'd essentially still collect a single digit while playing the prompt (i.e. play the prompt in a get digit string step); then once one has been created you could Goto the section that collects additional digits since then you know that they're dialing by extension.

So it sort of depends on your requirements, but, to be honest, I haven't heard of anyone ask for the ability to dial by extension during each of the sub-menu choices.

Hello,

I noticed here that you have a script that will allow overlapping extensions. Well, in the spirit of scripting, I am caught in a situation where this is a requirement. Would you by chance be able to post the sample script for this? We are running CUE 2.3.1, and this would help out a ton!!

Thanks in advance

I'll post it under one condition: read the README file included. It's not asking for money :-) but you need to understand that this is a sample script that may have some feature combinations that haven't been tested. The options are explained (clearly, I hope). The previous script I posted was used quite extensively by customers but had far fewer options so I was a bit more confident that everything worked. If there's any problem, question, or feedback, please just send an email as described in the README file--even if it's just saying that you're using it and it works (especially with the CUE version and a "show ccn app" since that'll tell me the exact feature combination that you've got to work).

I actually did this for 2.3.2, but there aren't any new steps between the releases, so I'm pretty confident it'll work just fine. I also added some stuff to allow you to configure menu choices to reach voicemail and/or the Administration via Telephone system (for recording prompts, broadcast messages, etc).

Thank you. I do understand your position on this. It is tough to find examples to be able to do scripting. I will not hold you responsible for any failures ;). I don't have a problem testing before implementing. Your last script worked at many sites, but as you know things are not always simple and the same at every site!!!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: