Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Custom Directory service

Hi everyone,

I've been trying to create a custom directory service, that would allow me to search the directory using the first name or last name, but only among certain users, eg. those who have "dep1" written in their department field. Is that possible? I tried using the LDAPSearch component, but it doesn't seem to provide the functionality that I need.

Also, I noticed that in the default directory service "UMX.UMDefaultProviderX" is used instead of LDAPSearch, though I didn't manage to find any documentation on that one. Any information on that component would also be really helpful.

Thank you,

Cheers,

Victor

10 REPLIES

Re: Custom Directory service

Well, looks like I've figured it all out already :)

I'll post here what I managed to find out later.

Cheers,

Victor

Victor --

We need to tell this UMX control to use a special LDAP server that we have set up, instead of the local call manager. Would you have any information that could help??

Thanks --Tom

What was your final fix for this?

I have the same requirement ... what did you find if you don't mind? Thanks!

Joe

I never figured out how to change the UMX settings. Instead, we had to replace the whole page that generates the XML wit one that uses our custom directory.

What DB platform is your customr directory resident on? Are you using a cusom directory scheme on the DC Directory, or another LDAP directory? Netscape, AD, etc?

Would you mind sharing what you came up with?

Thanks!

alan.n.joseph.iii at saic.com

I used an MS Access database for my directory records. Since ASP pages can use ODBC you are free to use any back end SQL database.

Create your xml directory page (use the default one from CCM & edit as required). Point this new directory page to the web server which serves your ASP pages.

Your ASP pages need to take user input, open the ODBC connection & run a query against your database - returning the results in XML tags which the phones can parse.

Make sure you access your new directory 'service' from the Directory URL on the phones rather than the Services URL. When you do this the phones own XML parser will put the standard Directory softkeys on the results - saves you from having to create your own Softkey functionality.

I hope this provides some useful pointers.

Paul

Hi Paul,

I've got another question for you ~ I'm able to pull the department info out of the DC Directory, though when I try to display the results, I get a parser error on the phone.

I know that it has to do with the fact that only "Telephone" and "Name" are defined as extensions for the CiscoIPPhoneDirectoryEntryType object, and I tried using a field called "Department". So how can I get the phone to display something that isn't defined in the schema?

If I query the CCM from a browser the directory entry comes back fine with the appropriate DepartmentNumber as configured from the CCM Admin Global Directory, though I just don't know how to get it to display it on the phone ... Any ideas?

I've attached my xmldirectorylist.asp file for reference.

Thanks in advance!

joe

you could use 2 entries for 1 record,

but is not the nicest way ;-)

i.e.

John Doe

Sales

GREAT Suggestion! That works but ...

Unfortunately, it shows up as a separate directory entry:

1. John Doe

2. Sales

3. Jane Doe

4. Marketing

This would be a bit cornfusing for my users, ...

Sheesh ... It sure would be nice if Cisco defined extensions in the schema for each of the fields in the Global Directory ... Argh ...

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content