cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Custom Phone Rings not working

vcolla
Level 1
Level 1

Anyone knows of an easy way to correctly build the .raw files for the phone rings? I have a WAV file and used CoolEdit to save it in PCM Raw data with 8-bit mu-Law compressed, however, the phone is unable to load it. Any ideas?

Thank you,

Vladimir

10 Replies 10

If you haven't already reviewed the tech doc on this, go here: http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/voice/c_callmg/3_0/admin_gd/3_0_5/a3rings.htm

If you follow the instructions start to finish you should be working fine.

Good luck,

Brian Carscadden

Sr. System Engineer

CCNA, CCDA, CIPT

TransNet Corporation

dgoodwin
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

What do you mean by unable to load it. Do you mean it is not showing up in the list of rings in the settings window on the phone? Make sure you add it to your Ringlist.xml file. It is also in the TFTPPATH directory. If you open it up, it's fairly easy to follow the syntax. You can just copy a ring in there twice and modify the extra one to your custom ring (making sure of course that the raw file has been copied into the TFTPPATH directory).

After you save the Ringlist.xml file, reset the phone and you should be in business.

If you can see the ring in the list, please explain further what the problem is.

After I change the Ringlist.xml and reset the phone, the new ring shows up in the list. When I select it, the phone says something like: Loading ring. or something to that effect. It seems as its trying to download/initialize the new ring but it never does. If I copy an existing ring to the same name as this new one, everything works fine. Ring format problem?

Most likely, yes. Make sure you read the requirements for the rings at the URL provided in an earlier reply on this thread. They are:

Raw PCM (no header)

8000 samples per second

8 bits per sample

uLaw compression

Maximum ring size — 16080 samples

Minimum ring size — 240 samples

Number of samples in the ring must be evenly divisible by 240

Ring should start and end at the zero crossing

8mliebscher
Level 1
Level 1

I also try to build a raw file.

I have a soundblaster card with Creative Wave Studio. I can create a PCM soundfile (8kHz, 8Bit, mono, 7KB/sec) and can save it as RAW-file. But when i test the Phone Ring on the IP Phone it´s sound very distorts. My problem is to convert from a-law to mu-law.

Any help?

Thank´s

Martin

The file needs to be companded with ulaw, not alaw. Make sure you read the requirements for the rings at the URL provided in an earlier reply on this thread. They are:

Raw PCM (no header)

8000 samples per second

8 bits per sample

uLaw compression

Maximum ring size — 16080 samples

Minimum ring size — 240 samples

Number of samples in the ring must be evenly divisible by 240

Ring should start and end at the zero crossing

I think this is easier said than done. I saw the same requirements on Cisco's website, and saved the WAV accordingly, but it doesn't work. Any other ideas? Is my problem a format or something else? If so, do you have a tool that you can recommend to produce/save the WAVs correctly?

I used CoolEdit 2000 which I believe is $49 or something inexpensive like that. Following the guidelines, I haven't had problems creating custom rings.

Thank you. I got it wo work. (too many samples)

mtashiro
Level 1
Level 1

When I have created a custom ring I noticed that if the file size is greater than 15K it does not work. Once it is 15K or less it works.