cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Custome Phone Directory

khainglay1
Level 1
Level 1

Is it possible to write ASP with VB script for custom phone directory? Currently,i am trying to write directory connecting to database.But it seems like VB script do not support IP Phone xml tag.I am not familiar with java script so i wanna use VB script.Is it possible?

4 Replies 4

stephan.steiner
Spotlight
Spotlight

I'm not sure you get how custom phone apps work.

You have a webpage on a webserver - any webserver. As long as the webserver responds with contenttype/xml and sends back an xml document that conforms to the IPPhone language, the phone can display it. You could put an xml file on a webserver and the phone could display it. Or, it can be a dynamic page.. completely regardless of the language it is written in. CGI/Perl, PHP, ASP (Javascript or VBScript), ASXP(C#, VB, C++, J#, etc), it doesn't matter at all. All that matters is when you send a request to the page in question, the contenttype of the response is text/xml and the text that is returned is a valid CiscoIPPhone object.

And, you write your CiscoIPPhone elements manually.

Take something like this:

some pageHello World!

Now create an ASP page using VBscript, and write out the xml above, and set the contenttype to text/xml... voila.. you have your hello world page in vbscript.

I'm having trouble finding the documentation on the XML syntax for this. Any help?

spectre03
Level 1
Level 1

Yes it's possible to use .Net, but it wasn't easy. In order for me to do it I created a page that only contained a literal and then you'll have to output everything manually as you want it to appear to the phone to use .Net server side. Then request.params to get my input back from the phone and filtered that to ensure it wasn't coming from an untrusted source. That was a seperate site that I had set on IIS to only allow the subnets that the phones were on to connect to.

Hope that helps.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: