Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data and Voice VLANs for IP Phones on an Enterasys switch

Has anyone tried using Cisco IP Phones and CallManager on an Enterasys switch infrastructure? I am trying to verify if a PC attached to the switch port on a Cisco IP Phone will be placed on a separate data VLAN if the phone is connected to an Enterasys switch, instead of a Catalyst. I know the IP Phones use CDP to identify themselves to the Catalyst switches, which makes me believe that this won't work. Unfortunatly, I don't have an Enterasys switch to test this on.

Any one with experience in this?

2 REPLIES

Re: Data and Voice VLANs for IP Phones on an Enterasys switch

PoE was not made standard until recently. So your phones would not get power from an Enterasys switch. Also I am not sure whether the Enterasys switches have a concept of auxiliary vlans like the Cisco switches do...Check this link

http://www.powerdsine.com/News/articles/PDF/071601_ITWorld_avaya.pdf

Re: Data and Voice VLANs for IP Phones on an Enterasys switch

I set this up and got it working with an Enterasys switch.

The Enterasys switch has to be configured to act as a trunk port and accept untagged frames.

What the auxilary/voice vlan does is, it tells the switch portion of the phone to tag the Voice traffic to be on the voice vlan.

All the data coming from the PC port is left untagged until it hits the switch at which point the native vlan or access vlan command is used to assign that untagged traffic to a vlan.

If the phone does not get the auxiliary/voice vlan information from the switch it's connected to you can configure the voice vlan on the phone itself through the network settings, by setting the Administrative VLAN to whatever your voice vlan is.

The enterasys switch can then be configured to act as a trunk port and also accept untagged frames, and what VLAN to assign the untagged frames. This is how you would put the PC traffic to a data vlan.

To set this up there are specific items that need to be configured on the enterasys switch to make it a trunk port and accept untagged traffic. What Enterasys switch and code are you using for this? If you want to go over the exact details for configuring this let me know.

Jose,

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content