Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

dealing with AXL getPhone responce

I am fairly new to AXL but I am wanting to create a simple GUI which will return Call Manager information such as the ring setting for a registered phone. I have successfully called the getPhone method in AXL but don't know how to "interpret" the results. Should I use sql to select only some parts? if so, how does this fit into the soap body? Can the responce be displyed as a xml page or do I have to write my own parser?

Thanks in advance.

Dev22

3 REPLIES

Re: dealing with AXL getPhone responce

The question basically comes down to what you want to show. Sure you can use SQL and there's an executeSQLQuery AXL command that you can use with parameter your sql query so if that floats your boat. Either way, I doubt that anybody but you can handle an unprocessed response from the server. So you have two means of doing that. One is hacking the wsdl and xsd files until you can load them into a soap framework like axis (java) or one built-into your IDE (e.g. Microsoft has one) - the hacking is normally not necessary but unfortunately Cisco dropped the ball big time with AXL.

The other alternative is manual parsing. You take the reply, you load it into an XML Document (or whatever it's called in your favorite programming language), and then you search for whatever pieces of information you need, and you show those in a GUI of your chosing.

The SOAP Toolkit is clearly the preferable solution if only the pesky editing weren't there (the files have to be hacked for each ccm update except service releases). With such a toolkit, as a response to a getPhone request, you'd get back an object Phone that has accessors to all the properties.. the whole thing behaves just as you'd make calls to local classes and that's the beauty of webservices (once again, webservices done right and not the cisco way).

In any get method, for example getPhone, how do we know which field will be delivered when there's an option between two, for example phoneTemplateName or phoneTemplateID.

thanks!

alej

I've asked myself that same question - looking at the experiments I have performed so far I'm inclined to say that if there's a name, it will be used instead of any IDs or complex elements there may be.

Views
Helpful
Replies