cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Definity style Priority Ring???

jniederauer
Level 1
Level 1

I'm setting up a new AVVID VoIP implementation at a K-12 school, and we've been using a Lucent Definity system up till now. One of the features the administrators have fallen in love with is the "priority" ring, which allows the caller to press a feature button or dial an access code and ring through to an extension, but the ring is a distinctive ring and overrides the call routing pattern to continue to ring instead of going to voicemail.

Is there any way for me to implement this with Call Manager? I've been following the forums and reading most of what's available online, and haven't been able to come up with anything...

The idea is to provide the teachers an audible cue that the phone should be answered, and is not a general call or outside call.

All the teachers will have 7940 sets (not 7910s).

I thought about mapping an alternate extension to their second line button which would be the priority extension (eg: instead of dialing ext 666 priority would call 7666). Problem is it appears that there is no way to create a distinctive ring on an alternate line appearance.

Any ideas?

2 Replies 2

dgoodwin
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Right now there is no way to provide a distinctive ring on a per line basis. Plans to implement this are currently being discussed and efforts being scoped, etc. But there is no current date or timeframe I can give you that would hold true as to when this may be available. I can tell you that it will not be in Cisco CallManager 3.1.

mstotz
Level 1
Level 1

If you configure two lines on a IP-Phone you can either disable ring on that particular line you don't want to be disturbed (you need administrator rights to do that) or forward the first line to a voicemail system for example and let the second line, if this is your priority line, go through.