Views
Helpful
Replies

Delay problem being reported by end user

NatDannon
Level 1
Level 1

Call Manager 4.1

Any ideas on where to look first to correct a reported problem of delays when using VoIP phones? End user states beginning today, there's been a 20 - 30 second delay when trying to retrieve voicemail messages, and also experiences delays when placing outgoing calls (4 digit dialing over tie line to other facilities).

I'd appreciate any guidance or understanding of why delays can occur on VoIP systems.

Thank you in advance,

Nat

4 Replies 4

Brandon Buffin
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Is the problem being reported by one user or multiple users? Have you introduced any new network devices (routers, switches, etc.) into the network recently? Are you prioritizing voice and voice signaling packets on routers and switches? These packets must be prioritized to minimize delay caused by other traffic on the network. The following link explains delay in a voice network.

Understanding Delay in Packet Voice Networks

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk652/tk698/technologies_white_paper09186a00800a8993.shtml

Hope this helps. If so, please rate the post.

Brandon

Brandon, thank you.

It was a single user reporting the delay problem. I reset the user's device (phone). Later, in the afternoon, I checked back and was told the delay problem was gone. Does that indicate what could of been causing this particular cause of delay?

I appreciate the link you directed me to and read through it. One of my problems is lack of experience and understanding in relation to networking. Reading Cisco documents is often like trying to decipher a foreign language, leaving me with a "deer in the headlights" look. Hopefully, I'll gain in comprehension of the Language of Cisco.

Thanks again,

Nat- the rookie!

Nat,

Don't feel bad. We were all there once (and still are at times). Networking takes time and experience to comprehend. Don't give up. Keep reading and putting the pieces together. This forum is a fantastic place to learn and you'll find no better help than the folks who post here.

I have experienced a couple of odd problems like this that a simple phone reset fixed. The good news is you don't have all of your usesr complaining of delay. You might check the phone load to be sure that it's the latest and that the problem is not with software. You can find the procedure for finding your current software version and for upgrading the software in the FAQ linked below. You can find the latest phone software linked below as well. You will need a CCO login to access phone software.

IP Phone FAQ

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/phones/ps379/products_qanda_item09186a00800a6763.shtml

7900 Series Phone Software

http://www.cisco.com/cgi-bin/tablebuild.pl/ip-7900ser

Hope this helps.

Brandon

I find the IP Phone FAQ document to be very helpful, and understandable. Thanks again. Also, thanks for the encouragement to keep reading and putting the pieces together.

Nat

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: