cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Delivering Caller ID via 28XX to Nortel Option 61

johnnywan
Level 1
Level 1

We would like to introduce caller ID into a phone system that is currently running a Nortel Option 61. Two PRIs will be terminated into two 28XX routers that will be frontending the Opt61. We are doing this to position ourselves to eventually migrate to IPT. The connection between the 28XX and the Opt 61 I am assuming will be PRIs running QSiG? Any gotchas out there or things I need to be aware of that people may have seen? No CUCMs yet so these gateways will be standalone caller id gateways for the OPtion 61. Any advice would be appreciated.

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Hi Johnny,

You will probably want to use the 2-PRI (VWIC2-2MFT-T1/E1) to maximize the 2800 series potential here;

VWIC2-2MFT-T1/E1 Support;

Any native HWIC slot on Cisco 2801, 2811,

2821, 2851, 3825 and 3845 and any VIC slot

on NM-HDV, NM-HDV2, NM-HD-2VE,

NM-2W, NM-1FE1R2W, NM-1FE2W-V2,

NM-2FE2W-V2

Cards, Ports, and Slots

Cisco 2801: 2 HWIC slots, 2 VWIC slots, 2 PVDM slots, 2 AIM slots

Cisco 2811: 4 HWIC slots, 1 expansion network module slot, 2 PVDM slots, 2 AIM slots

Cisco 2821: 4 HWIC slots, 1 expansion network module slot, 1 extension voice/fax module slot, 3 PVDM slots,

Cisco 3825: 4 HWIC slots, 2 expansion network module slot, 4 PVDM slots, 2 AIM slots

Cisco 3845: 4 HWIC slots, 4 expansion network module slot, 4 PVDM slots, 2 AIM slots

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/routers/ps5854/product_data_sheet0900aecd80169812.pdf

Hope this helps!

Rob

PS: We found the 2821's to be an excellent choice.

View solution in original post

You're welcome.

Please remember to rate useful posts!

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi, caller-id is not a problem. If I understand correctly you will be hairpinning a set of two telco PRI to a set of PRI to PBX. Remember that you need full PVDM resource for 4 ports, that is a minium of 2 x PVDM2 48 or 1 x -64 and 1 x -32.

Then the PBX connections will be network-side and provide clock.

Thanks for the reply. My plan is to put 2 cisco 28xx isr routers in front of the option 61. I will have a PRI from the telco terminating in each 28xx. Each 28xx will also be connected to the option 61 via a T1/PRI and carry caller-id to the option 61. Do I need QSiG for caller-id between the gateways and the option 61?

Also, sizing the isr is a concern obviously. Ex..the 2811 can handle up to 2 - T1 per box. How about the 2821 or 51? How many can they handle. Would like to leverage these boxes for tie lines in the future between PBX and CUCM for phased migration.

Hi Johnny,

We do not use QSIG with our connections to the 61c as it was quite expensive to add to the Nortel (and CLID works just fine). We use DMS-100. I'm sure other protocols will work as well. Perhaps my buddy Paolo will fill in the blanks here :)

Hope this helps!

Rob

Rob, not only you saved money on that, but running true qsig when the router is "put in between" like in this case, is unnecessary.

This is because PBX has no QSIG things to do with CO (remember PBX believes to be talking to CO directly).

On the other hand if you had to network a bunch of PBXs with QSIG (leased line replacement), then you want full QSIG support for the special features to work.

Hi,

The router will try to forward setup message unaltered for as much as possible. In reality the switch will not be qsig, but in north america for example, the ni-2 standard use same facility encoding as qsig (asn/rose), so when you will be doing h.323 to the CM, yes you will need "qsig decode". So it also depends the switch you're connected to.

Also remember to configure network-clock-participate and -select correctly.

Hope this helps, please rate post if it does!

Hi Johnny,

You will probably want to use the 2-PRI (VWIC2-2MFT-T1/E1) to maximize the 2800 series potential here;

VWIC2-2MFT-T1/E1 Support;

Any native HWIC slot on Cisco 2801, 2811,

2821, 2851, 3825 and 3845 and any VIC slot

on NM-HDV, NM-HDV2, NM-HD-2VE,

NM-2W, NM-1FE1R2W, NM-1FE2W-V2,

NM-2FE2W-V2

Cards, Ports, and Slots

Cisco 2801: 2 HWIC slots, 2 VWIC slots, 2 PVDM slots, 2 AIM slots

Cisco 2811: 4 HWIC slots, 1 expansion network module slot, 2 PVDM slots, 2 AIM slots

Cisco 2821: 4 HWIC slots, 1 expansion network module slot, 1 extension voice/fax module slot, 3 PVDM slots,

Cisco 3825: 4 HWIC slots, 2 expansion network module slot, 4 PVDM slots, 2 AIM slots

Cisco 3845: 4 HWIC slots, 4 expansion network module slot, 4 PVDM slots, 2 AIM slots

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/routers/ps5854/product_data_sheet0900aecd80169812.pdf

Hope this helps!

Rob

PS: We found the 2821's to be an excellent choice.

Thank you all for the information! Very helpful and timely. I really appreciate it.

You're welcome.

Please remember to rate useful posts!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: