cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Design issue: Unity across a firewall

vinhnguyen
Level 1
Level 1

My customer has a Watchguard firewall and due to design consideration Unity will be on a separate voice vlan, but it will have to traverse the firewall to join the existing NT4 DC and an Exchange 5.5 for voicemail and unified messaging including TTS. I don't think there are any documentations available for this kind of setup so my question is:

Will Unity work in this scenario?

What kind of ports do I need to open up on the firewall for all the features above?

Thanks

2 Replies 2

lindborg
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

There is no document that lists all the possible holes you'd have to open in a firewall for this to work.... at least not that I know of. You might be able to get this to work, but it wont be supported... this is just a really bad idea. You wouldn't have multiple Exchange servers in the same site, for instance, seperated by firewalls. Further, client access to Unity web services and VMO (which you don't specifically mention but is implied with unified messaging) will not work properly across a firewall since the media master control used by SA/AA and VMO utilizes DCOM which wont fly over a firewall without some serious contortions.

To bypass the firewall we decided to put two network interface cards on the Exchange server and Domain controller and connect it directly to the voice vlan. We know adding an additional nic card on the domain controller and exchange server will not be a problem, but we are not sure how unified messaging will work or whether it will work at all with this configuration. Please clarify.