Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Design question

I have a customer that wants redundancy to the Nth degree. Dual 6500's with dual connections to all closets. Dual Call managers (the list goes on)

Now the question:

#1 Is it possible to order a MCS platform with dual NIC's? (I think not)

#2 If so, are the Compaq utitlites for NIC bonding supported?

I don't understand why this is an issue if we have dual chassis but he wants this information and I couldn't answer it with 100% accuracy. I guess the idea behind it is to have each NIC go into different cards, different ports and so on.

Sorry for the off topic discussion but I can't get ahold of my local SE!

Thanks

2 REPLIES

Re: Design question

At Networkers Chicago last month, during the IP Telephony power session we were told that in 3.1 cisco will support multiple NICs in the Call Manager. Cisco is supposed to post a document discussing this and what 3rd party NICS are supported and how to configure them.

We are currently using Compaq NIC Teaming Cards to provide redundant fast ethernet connections to seperate 6509's similar to what you were describing. Keep in mind this is not supported by TAC currently, but we have had no issues with this configuration. This actually saved us awhile back when we had a complete power failure to one of our 6509's.

Email me offline if you would like to discuss this further.

Tim Medley - CCNP+Voice

Network Architect

VoIP Group

iReadyWorld

Cisco Employee

Re: Design question

Currently (including CallManager 3.1) Cisco does not support multiple NICs in the CallManager.

If this changes then I am sure there will be a document giving the details, however it is still the case that it is not supported at this time.

"Teaming Cards" or anything else that causes more than one NIC to actually occupy the same IP address as far as Windows 2000 is concerned "SHOULD" work however as Tim noted it is not officially supported.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content