cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Device IP address, RISX.DeviceInfoX

tarasulcisco
Level 1
Level 1

I need to find on request basis the mapping between device IP address and device name.

I don't think it's an efficient way to call deviceinfox.asp and cache response especially in extension mobility environment.

After a day of research I was not able to find reliable method of querying device name by device IP address.

RISX.DeviceInfoX allows to look up ip address by devicename, but there should be reverse lookup somewhere.

There are no DNS records.

Where this mapping between device name and ip address stored?

How it can be accessed?

2 Replies 2

XmlEquals
Level 3
Level 3

DeviceListX is for exactly this purpose. You really should implement a caching system.

If I may ask, what do you percieve as a problem when caching the report? The devicename stays the same, does it not? Even in a DHCP environment, unless you have very small leases, IP addresses tend to stay the same for devices that are always on. And EM only means a user is logged in at different locations, not the phone IP addresses change. Most apps I can think of depend more on the user, not the actual phone (in case EM is used at least), so I'd try to stick to the EM profile to associate data with a user, not the phone's IP address, whenever possible. And even if you need the IP, there's no preventing you from writing a proxy that sits between the actual EM service and the phone so you always know where a user is logged in, without having to make any EM queries.