cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Dial by addressing problem

admin_2
Level 3
Level 3

I have 2 sites networked together and I have modifed the registry to allow for dial by name via the GAL. The users at each site are complaining when they address a message that if there is only one match for the digits pressed they get no verbal confirmation as to who it is. They are really concerned about this one, please advise. Anything that can be done.<br><br><br><br>

3 Replies 3

Not applicable

Well... I'm not real sure what you have going on here. How are the sites networked? The Registry hack to do the global addressing only applied to addressing by name, not by ID. If you enter the ID of a user it'll only lookup local users, you have to prepend the location object ID of the remote server first if you want to address to a remote user. This is one of the things that's nicer about the 3.0 networking model (see the NetworkingOVerview2001.doc on the AnswerMonkey site on the 3.x tools page).

You can first select the location by ID/spelling then a user at that location or you can dial the entire ID string (location ID+ users ID) in one shot. Or you can address by name and have the lookup use the entire GAL.

I don't know what you mean about not getting name confirmation... what, are you using blind addressing or what? If you select a user and that user has a voice name, you'll hear it played as confirmation. If you're using blind addressing, that's a different issue entirely.

Jeff Lindborg
Unity Product Architect/Answer Monkey
Cisco Systems
lindborg@cisco.com
http://www.AnswerMonkey.net (new page for Unity support tools and scripts)

Not applicable

I queried the customer a little more and this is what I got from him

> when doing dial-by-name at the site to address a new message to a user, the user
> is prompted with the matching name(s). when doing dial-by-name to forward
> a message, if there is only one match it just adds the name with no
> notification of who it is. this is very very bad. what do we need to do
> to change this?

Not applicable

Ah... OK, different problem. Yes, there's a registry key you can set that will force us to always bark out the name as confirmation no matter what. Some folks find it redundant and annoying, sounds like these guys feel it's absolutely necessary... this is what makes my job fun.

anyway, here's a post on how to set the registry for this:

http://avforums.isomedia.com/cgi-bin/showthreaded.pl?Cat=&Board=ipswitch&Number=3058&Search=true&Forum=All_Forums&Words=name confirmation&Match=Entire Phrase&Searchpage=0&Limit=25&Old=3months&Main=2722

Jeff Lindborg
Unity Product Architect/Answer Monkey
Cisco Systems
lindborg@cisco.com
http://www.AnswerMonkey.net (new page for Unity support tools and scripts)

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: