Cisco Support Community
Community Member

Dial-tone from NM-HDV-1T1-24

Does anyone know if there is a command to turn-off dial-tone on a NM-HDV-1T1-24? Depending on the application, when a trunk is accessed, it can be desirable to have the hardware not produce a dial-tone.

Cisco Employee

Re: Dial-tone from NM-HDV-1T1-24

You're talking about when you are using T1 CAS when the PSTN or PBX makes a call to the router? When would dialtone not be appropriate? Can you explain more about the setup?

Community Member

Correct, when making a call from the PBX to the router, in this one situation, I may have endusers dial a "pbx" access-code to access the trunk group. If a dial-tone is given by the router, the enduser will hear two dial-tones. One from when they pick-up the handset (typical) and second when they dial the trunk access code, and connect to the router. If possible, I would not give them the second dial-tone, which will make this type of call identical to what they are use to.

Cisco Employee

I don't know of a way to accomplish not providing this second dial-tone if the user is going to manually dial the number after dialing a trunk access code. Unless you use the connection plar command which will route all incoming calls on those T1 channels directly to whatever number you configure -- all the time.

Some PBXs have a feature where the switch will collect all the digits (of say an extension number) and when it has enough digits and decides to route it to a certain trunk-group, it will play out the digits dialed by the user (manipulated or not) to the other switch (in this case, the Cisco router) which will route the call appropriately and provide call progress tones to the caller. For example, one way to implement this feature on an Avaya G3 switch is using the UDP (Unified Dial Plan).

Other than that, I can't think of a way to avoid the second dial tone. But definitely the feature described should be able to solve the problem if the PBX has the capability.

CreatePlease to create content