cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Dialing External Extensions

dgahm
Level 8
Level 8

We are doing a gradual IP telephony migration, and have about half our users in Unity and half in Nortel Meridian. I have a Unity call handler that gives the caller a choice of dialing an extension by number, or selecting other choices. The extension dialing works fine if the extension is an Unity subscriber, but I can't seem to determine how to send the call to the Call Manager for routing to Nortel extensions. I have other call handlers that dial specific Nortel extensions, and even 800 numbers with no problem, so it is not a CSS, or restriction issue.

It seems like this should be simple, but I am having no luck. Can anybody point me in the right direction?

3 Replies 3

kechambe
Level 7
Level 7

Unity won't let you dial an extension that it doesn't know about (Nortel in this case) and transfer a call to it. What you need to do is setup a CallHandler for each of the Nortel users that you want Unity to transfer the call to. Then when the extension of the CallHandler is didn't Unity will transfer based on transfer settings. If you are planning to have an alpha directory you probably want to user internet subscribers instead of CallHandlers for the Nortel guys.

Hope this helps...

Keith

Keith,

Thanks! In that case the easiest solution might be to import the rest of the users from Exchange, even though they won't be using Unity yet. The directory (alpha) calling won't work until they record their name, but the extension calling works fine that way.

Any "gotchas" with this?

Regards, Dave

That should be just fine. You might want to remove them from the all subscriber distribution list so that they don't get confused by the messages sent to it. Nothing else I can think of...