Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

DID with ungrouped translations and Inbound calls

DID with ungrouped translations and Inbound calls

Hello,

I will have to configure a CCM with about 300 IP phones and two digital E1 trunks with DID.

The Telephony Manager gave me a form with all IP phones and their features to be configured. And i realized that the last four digits of the DID range do not match the ip phone extension numbers of the ip phones in almost all cases.

Normally, if you have a DID range like this (These numbers are faked):

+1 234 567 2000 to +1 234 567 3999

Then, the optimal choice would be to use an extension directory range for ip phones from 2000 to 3999, with a one-to-one equivalence. With this approach, the transaltion can be easely made at route group level.

But the form i got from the Telephony Manager has random DID assignements, for instance:

Extension 2340 should use a DID +1 234 567 3415 (2340 clashes with 3415)

Extension 2534 should use a DID +1 234 567 2813 (2534 clashes with 2813)

And so on with 300 ip phones...

According with CCM documentation,i can use ?External Phone Number Mask? field for every IP phone Directory number configuration page and marking the Calling party?s External Phone Number Mask button at the route pattern. With such configuration, when making outbound calls the ip Callmanager will send the manually selected DID number instead of the DID stripped from the ip phone extension.

This is perfect for Outbound calls. But what about INBOUND calls ?

Should i expect that inbound calls from PSTN will be translated in the same way as outbound calls?

For instance:

A call from outside to 1 234 567 3415 will be translated to 2340?

A call from outside to 1 234 567 2813 will be translated to 2534?

The second option will be (i guess) to create as many translation patterns as ip phones, but it does not seem a polite solution.

The third option would be to speak with the Telephony Manager to request him to arrange extensions and DID?s in a grouped fashion.

Can somebody advice in this matter?

Regards in advance.

3 REPLIES
Silver

Re: DID with ungrouped translations and Inbound calls

I think your interest in a diplomatic solution is well placed. Moving forward with the current spec looks too much like aerobic exercise. I cannot imagine why such a convoluted arrangement would be helpful.

Bronze

Ok. I have similar problem b4.

For instance:

DID: 0800-0899, however, you cant have extension start with zero (0800). So I use translation pattern to 1800.

It is a bit complicated in your case, coz you might need create a lot of translation pattern.

The best way I would do OR you can is that to get a NEW DID to match the extension.

The DID is cheap, 15 bucks for 100 DID per month from our carrier. If your carrier doesnt have DID range you like, ask them to apply a new DID range for you.

However, the users might need new business card and some politic you or your manager to deal with.

Ken

Thank you for your replies.

The Telephony Manager agreed to reassign the users extensions in correlation with DID's, so the problem was solved in this way.

Views
Helpful
Replies