cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

difference between offbox and inbox exchange unity upgrade.

shouyisun
Level 1
Level 1

I have been thinking a question. What's the difference from upgrade an offbox ex55 unity versus an inbox ex55 unity, if both are not inplace upgrade.Assuming unity from2.46 to 3.xx and exchange from 55 to 2000 because we have these kinds of customer they may need upgrade sooner or later.

8 Replies 8

lindborg
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I'm not really sure what you're asking here...

The upgrade process from 2.x to 3.x involves a complete export of all Unity 2.4.6 data (well, most data... review the help file for a list of stuff not included in the backup/restore process) and you import that into a new Unity 3.x install. The configuration of Exchange (on box vs. off box, 55 vs. 2K) doesn't matter on the new install... the lookups for mail users in the system will go through the Directory ID first, then the RDN then the Alias (mail nickname) looking for users in the directory (again, doesn't matter if the directory is AD or Ex55). If a match is found we "bind" to that mail user, if not we create a new mail user on the fly and make them a subscirber.

The rest is left up to you. If they want to upgrade from 55 to 2K or move it off box or whatever, it's up to them.

I still have couple things confused here?

1. If it's uograded from NT to 2000 ,do I still have to import NT users into 2000? I think I need. But can I use ADC to import or I have to use Microsoft ADMT? I saw a post here suggested using ADMT.

2.Do I have to use bulk logout utility to log user out before upgrade?

The more I look at some related questions they post here, seems the more question I have. Thanks a lot. Jeff.

You'll want to review the very fine upgrade documentation for going from 2.x to 3.x:

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/voice/c_unity/unity31/inst/inst31/inst_030.htm

The bulk logout utility does not come into play here since, as per the documentation above, you are doing a complete uninstall of Unity 2.x as part of this process.

You'll want to check the Microsoft documentation for the best way to get your NT accounts into AD if you're also going from NT to 2K as part of this process.

I have read the documentation. One more question here is:I didn't see the documentation implies that I have to import users from NT to 2k if the upgrade is to build a new win2k. Can I therefore assume that the unity will automatically create users in AD and mailboxs in Ex2k from those subscribers inforamation after unityimportutility import unity data from 2.46 to 3.13, if there are no users in the win2k AD.

That's correct. The help file for the FullDBImport and Export cover this. If there are no user's found in the directory that match the directory ID, RDN and finally the Alias of the user being imported, a new user is created on the fly. If a user is found in the directory we'll bind to it.

Now it's quite clear. The next step and question is can I restore exchange mailbox from ex55 to ex2000 using MSbackup or veritus?

I don't know about MSBackup (I've struggled with that in the past, it's not a very robust backup/restore application), or Veritas (you'll have to check with them on this point) but I do know that ExMerge can handle moving messages backed up on a 5.5 system onto a 2k system or vice versa. Be sure to use the one that comes with Ex2k (it works on 55 as well) if you decide to go that route.

Thanks Jeff. You answered me a lot of quesions today. I appeciate that very much.Good night.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: