cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Digital Networking with 4.01

mdeloach
Level 1
Level 1

I built three new servers this weekend, and am preparing to ship them to the sites where they will be integrated with a circuit-switched PBX.

I'm trying to get Digital Networking setup, and have read the install guides, release notes and sat throught the networking training video. Still no joy.

We have four servers, one with an active integration. All four have had their primary reloaction renamed to something meaningful. All four been confirmed to be able to add and remove subscribers. Each server shows no Delivery Locations, and Server Chooser only lists the local server.

Do I need to manually add the Delivery Locations on each server? Is there some service I should kick to make the servers aware of each other?

11 Replies 11

kechambe
Level 7
Level 7

Are all of the servers integrated within the *SAME* Active Directory Forest, Exchange 5.5 Organization or Domino Domain? This is a requirement of Digital Networking and I suspect that they are not. Can you please confirm that they are and the type of messaging backend you are using?

Thanks,

Keith

We have a single A/D domain, using Exchange 2000. The directory could not be any flatter. All users in container /Users. All Unity servers have created entries in /Unity/Locations.

If you open the GlobalLocation table in SQL how many rows do you see? You should see 4. Please check on all servers and let me know.

Thanks,

Keith

Each server only lists itself. I see two items that may be relevant-

1. Each server still has the alias 'Default'

2. The account that is used for the Directory service is the same on all

four servers. It does not have read access to the OUs Unity and Unity/Locations.

The locations aliases will all remain 'default' but the sql TextName will be what you entered for each of them and the sql Uid for each will be defaultxxxxxxxx where xxxxxxxx is a unique number.

Sounds like it could be a permissions issue. Are all of the services running on each server? Are there any errors in the app event log? The AvDSGlobalCatalog service should be seeing the location and subscriber objects from the other servers in AD and adding them locally to the globallocation and globalsubscriber tables.

All services are running. The services AvDSAD and AvDSGlobalCatalog are run using the same domain account on alll four servers.

That account did not have read permissions in /Unity or /Unity/Locations, but there are four location documents in that OU. So the servers can see A/D and write into it.

The original server was built with SQL 2000, and the three new servers are using MSDE, which from my reading shouldn't make a difference, but is the only major difference between the four servers.

If there was a permissions issue at one time that has now since been resolved, the issue may be that the AvDsGlobalCatalog services have "missed the boat" for syncing those location objects.

The AvDsGlobalCatalog service syncs subscribers, distribution lists and locations. Each time that the AvDsGlobalCatalog runs a sync process, it does an incremental sync. It keeps track of the last highest synced USN off of the objects during a directory sync. So, the next directory sync, it asks for changes above and beyond that last USN.

If that service didn't have read rights to that appropriate container, the location objects would not have come back in the directory query. But during that directory sync, if there were objects that the service could see (like subscribers or DLs), that will bump up the "last highest synced USN" for the monitor. It'll probably bum it up higher than the USNs on the location objects.

So, let's say that the rights issue has been resolved. The next time the monitor does a sync cycle (it's incremental, remember), those locations will not come back in the directory query because their USNs are lower than the AvDsGlobalCatalog's last highest synced USN.

You can force the AvDsGlobalCatalog service to do a full resync via \CommServer\TechTools\DohPropTest.exe. It'll ask for a password, just don't enter one and hit "OK", then chose "ignore". There will be a command button for "GC Monitor". Select that and then click on "Total Resync".

Wait a few minutes and then check SQL's GlobalLocation table.

I believe that the permissions are now correct. The account that AvDsGlobalCatalog runs as can browse to Unity/Locations and see the objects.

Using DoHPrepTest/TotalSync does not appear to update the SQL database.

I'm looking at the SQLSync logs and it has entries about the server locating its own location object and updating it, but the remaining location objects are not listed in the log.

What you are seeing in the SQL sync logs is normal. Those logs reflect when Unity synced it's SQL dbase to the directory. Getting the locations from other Unity servers is a different story; that's syncing the directory back into SQL.

Is there any way you can get me WTS access?

Contact me at dan_austin@phoenix.com. I'll need to get an IP address from you so I can have the firewall configured to allow a connection.

With Oliviers help we found that we did have it right. It just so happens we had a number of distribution groups with illegal characters in them ( / ). After renaming the groups, the servers are happily learning all about each other.

I knew it was supposed to be this easy.