cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Directory Handler????

triad
Level 1
Level 1

We are running Unity 3.1(2). Currenlty after the opening greeting, a caller will press #2 to access our company directory. The Unity voice tells the caller to "Spell the first and last name." All that it really needed is to spell the first three letters of the person's name and the caller will be directed to the right person. How do I change the Unity voice to say "Spell the first three letters of the person's first name." ? Is there a way to change this?<br><br><br>Thanks in advance for all the help.<br><br>

6 Replies 6

Not applicable

That conversation isn't configurable... why do you want to limit it to the first three letters? You can spell as many letters as you want which may be necessary if you get more folks in the directory...

Jeff Lindborg
Unity Technical Lead/Answer Monkey
Cisco Systems
lindborg@cisco.com
http://www.AnswerMonkey.net (new page for Unity support tools and scripts)

I agree with the original requestor. We just installed 3.1(1) and we want to change the directory greeting to something like, "Please spell the first few letters of . . . . ". I had several customers trying to spell the entire name on their cell phones. It is not obvious to someone unfamiliar with a voice mail directory that you only need to spell the first few letters.

Not applicable

How about changing the prompt to "spell the first few letters of the last, then first name" and "spell the first few letters of the first, then last name".

It's a little tricky since in large companies you DO have to spell more than a few letters to get a specific enough match to get a reasonable list back (i.e. how many "SMI" matches for the last name would you get back in a company of 10,000?). Also, for short last names (i.e. 2 characters) it's necessary for them to know that they can then continue spelling the first letter or two of their first/last name depending.

We could change this to a customer recorded greeting but that's a little hairier than it sounds. You can, of course, rerecord the prompts themselves but they get overwritten during an upgrade which is more than a little annoying.

If the wording above is better, I can submit a request to have it changed at the next recording session and make sure the localization group knows about it (this is expensive when you have to translate and record a dozen languages).

Jeff Lindborg
Unity Technical Lead/Answer Monkey
Cisco Systems
lindborg@cisco.com
http://www.AnswerMonkey.net (new page for Unity support tools and scripts)

Not applicable

I've just had this request also. Confusing for old folks who panic when they think they have to spell the whole name. Others think they can spell the first name only...

gp

klindauer
Level 1
Level 1

I had lots of complaints about that greeting too. I was able to find the .wav file that contained the "Spell the last and first name" greeting. I am not in front of the Unity box right now, but the filename was AvAddrSearchENU005.wav. I think it was in the

C:\unity\localize\prompts\ENU\AvAddrSearch\ folder. But you can easily do a search for that file just in case I left out a directory.

I used windows Sound Recorder rerecord. Make sure you use the same .wav format as the other recordings (CCITT u-law 8.000 kHz, 8-bit, Mono), otherwise it wont sound right on the phone system.

Actually, since this thread was posted I dropped a bunch of alternate directoryhandler prompts out on CiscoUnityTools here:

http://www.CiscoUnityTools.com/App_AlternativeDirectoryHandlerPrompts.htm

That way you can keep the same voice throughout - remember, upgrades will wipe out any prompt changes you make so you'll have to remember to redo the changes you make here.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: