Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

DIRT - Cannot type the UNC path in the Backup Target Location field

Hi,

I am trying to backup the unity (v3.1.5) config to a SAN server. However I am unable to type the UNC path in the Backup Target Location field in the DiRT utility.

I have downloaded the latest version of the utility but I still cannot enter the UNC path.

The share is not browseable through network neighbourhood. I have tried mapping a drive but the backup fails with the following:

Running UnityDisasterRecoveryBACKUP version: 1.0.89

Local Unity version=3.1(5.0)

Search for '(error)' or '(warning)' to find logged errors and warnings during the backup process.

Starting disaster reocovery backup at: 04-Apr-03 11:17:19

Backing up registry to: E:\UnityReg.REG

Backing up the Cisco TSP branch to:E:\CiscoTSP.reg

Backing up routing rules

Backing up default active switch file:d:\CommServer\IntLib\Cisco0002.INI

Backing up all AVD files

Backing up StreamFiles folder

Copying out system greetings for default objects

Backing up UnityDB SQL table

(error) in cmbBackup routing:[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]Cannot open backup device 'E:\UnityDBBackUp.sql'. Device error or device off-line. See the SQL Server error log for more details.

[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]BACKUP DATABASE is terminating abnormally. number=-2147218303

(error) in cmbBackup routing:[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]Cannot open backup device 'E:\ReportDBBackUp.sql'. Device error or device off-line. See the SQL Server error log for more details.

[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]BACKUP DATABASE is terminating abnormally. number=-2147218303

Finished disaster reocovery backup at: 04-Apr-03 11:17:34

Any ideas?

Cheers

Graeme

4 REPLIES
Cisco Employee

Re: DIRT - Cannot type the UNC path in the Backup Target Locatio

Why is the share not browsable? I've had lots of folks do off box backups by browsing to the server on the network directly - if the box is not in the domain SQL is going to choke on using it as the backup destination no matter what you do - if it is in the domain I don't understand why you can't browse to it.

Hi,

The server is a SAN device which is providing the share. It cannot be browsed to because the share is called \apps$ - it is in the same domain as the Unity server.

Is it normal not to be able to type anything in the destination field?

Thanks

Graeme

Cisco Employee

yes, it is. I did that deliberately to restrict what could be included because SQL's stored procs are very fussy about what it'll write to as a backup destination. All the items I have control over (prompts, registry, flat files etc...) you'll notice write over fine - it's the SQL backup process that coughs a hairball on the backup. There's just absolutely nothing I can do about that. I let you browse to computers and select drives directly that way and this always works - shares for whatever reason don't always fly for the SQL procs.

Cisco Employee

also... if you want to ping me directly at lindborg@cisco.com I can send you a version that lets you free-form enter the UNC path and see if it flies... if it does perhaps I'll include this option as a command line parameter or the like.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content