cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

DiRT errors

cairns-a
Level 1
Level 1

Here are some errors I keep having when running DiRT. Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong. I have Unity 4.0 with exchange 2000.

(error) in cmbBackup routing:[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]Cannot open backup device 'I:\UnityDBBackUp.sql'. Device error or device off-line. See the SQL Server error log for more details.

[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]BACKUP DATABASE is terminating abnormally. number=-2147218303

(error) in cmbBackup routing:[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]Cannot open backup device 'I:\ReportDBBackUp.sql'. Device error or device off-line. See the SQL Server error log for more details.

[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]BACKUP DATABASE is terminating abnormally. number=-2147218303

Thanks in advance.

Trae

2 Replies 2

lindborg
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I see these types of errors pretty often - they're generated by SQL when the backup request goes in, not by DiRT.

The most common problem is a share/rights issue. You can do a quick backup test to a local drive to make sure everything is working properly. If you're doing backups to an off box location it's best to use the UNC and not try to use a mapped drive, SQL seems to not much like those.

Be sure to get the latest version of DiRT backup and restore off www.CiscoUnityTools.com - I made some changes in there to properly support browsing to a UNC not too long ago...

Back up to local drive worked fine.

The UNC path does not require authentication and is in a seperate domain that is not able to authenticate the local log in used by the DiRT.

Thought about running the DiRT local and then coping to backup server.

Thanks

Trae

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: