cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

DIRT Restore Messages not being restored

clark.nguyen
Level 1
Level 1

I am trying to restore all config and messages from a 3.1.5 VM system to a new 3.1.5 VM system in the a lab before moving on to an upgrade. The latest version of DIRT retstore I'm using is 1.0.239. Everything is restored fine such as greetings and call handlers except for the subscriber messages.

Does anyone have any ideas of what i'm missing to accomplish this?

thanks

3 Replies 3

clark.nguyen
Level 1
Level 1

Here are some errors I found in the Exmerge log

[09:05:58] Successfully initialized MAPI.

[09:05:58] MAPI Logon successful.

[09:05:58] Error extracting information from server DN '' (CMapiSession::GetInfoFromProfile)

[09:05:58] Errors encountered. Copy process aborted for mailbox 'Clark Nguyen' ('CNguyen').

[09:05:58] Using locale 0x409 and code page 1252 to connect to mailbox

[09:05:58] Merging data from file 'C:\DIRT BACKUP\MESSAGES\MJORDAN.PST' to mailbox 'Michael Jordan' ('MJordan') on server 'MOE'.

[09:05:58] Successfully created profile.

[09:05:58] MAPI Logon successful.

[09:05:58] Error extracting information from server DN '' (CMapiSession::GetInfoFromProfile)

[09:05:58] Errors encountered. Copy process aborted for mailbox 'Michael Jordan' ('MJordan').

[09:05:58] Number of items copied from the source store for all mailboxes processed: 0

Looks like maybe your domain controller is having issues here... that's usually what that "Error extracting information from server DN" means.

Again, DiRT isn't doing anything custom here - we're just caling ExMerge straight up - if it's failing you have a rights issue or a DC issue or some other ExMerge problem of some sort. I'd try running ExMerge manually in GUI mode and restoring a few boxes to troubleshoot.

lindborg
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Well, there could be a number of things going on here but there's not much detail to go on here...

did it try to restore messages but failed? Didn't offer the option to restore messages? Were there errors in the output logs? If so, what were they? did you look at the ExMerge logs (as my logs would have instructued you to do if the message restore failed)?

The most common issue here is mailstore rights on the account you're running DiRT restore under - I simply launch ExMerge from Microsoft to do the restore with a properly configured INI file and a script to convert the mailbox identifier if necessary (i.e. if you're backing up from one domain and restoring to another or the like).

The PST files created by DiRT backup (with ExMerge) can be restored on your own without the help of DiRT - I often tell people to run ExMerge stand alone with the same account and see what happens. In one case a few weeks ago this pointed out the fact that ExMerge had been partially damaged at some point and wouldn't run. You can also slurp them in using Outlook if you want, although that's obviously time consuming.

So - short story is that with the details I have here my guess will be you are short some mailstore rights with the account you're running DiRT restore with and/or the ExMerge application is missing a DLL or something (I've seen that on a couple sites for reasons I'm not clear on - it's installed as part of Exchange and should work out of the box). For a more accurate guess we'll have to get some more details.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: