Views
Helpful
Replies

DiRT Restore Problems

adeolu_adeoye
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I am having some problems with the DiRT restore utility and I am convinced that I am doing something wrong. I was just trying to test the backups. My config is below:

PROD. ENVIRONMENT

Unity 3.1.3 with Exchange off-box

File and Print Server has all domain-wide AD roles

TEST. ENVIRONMENT

Unity 3.1.3 with Exchange 2000 on-box

All domain-wide AD roles on the Unity Server

The production domain and test domain are different.

Basically I just wanted to see if the backups restored properly and if Unity will start with even the minimal configuration. During the restore, I got a cmbRestore routine error. After the restore Unity refused to start. It kept getting stuck while trying to start the AvDirSynch_MC service. The error is message in Event viewer is written below:

"Skipping Synchronization cycle due to error connecting to LDAP server. Ensure Server is accessible, Exchange services are running, Monitor service account is configured properly"

I have a feeling this has something to do with the AD schema not being consitent with what Unity expects. If so how do I solve this problem?

Regards,

Ade

6 Replies 6

kechambe
Level 7
Level 7

The error -

"Skipping Synchronization cycle due to error connecting to LDAP server. Ensure Server is accessible, Exchange services are running, Monitor service account is configured properly"

- shouldn't prevent Unity from starting. This means that the directory monitors can't connect with AD. Not a good thing but Unity should still start.

Most likely you are getting some other errors along with that one. If so, can you post them too?

Thanks,

Keith

That was what I though as well. But Unity has been trying to start for the past 4 hours. There are some other roors but I keep getting the AvDirSynch_MC over and over.

Here is the full text.

Event Type: Warning

Event Source: AvDirSynch_MC

Event Category: Warning

Event ID: 1056

Date: 12/17/2002

Time: 4:16:28 PM

User: N/A

Computer: EPVM

Description:

Skipping synchronization cycle due to error connecting to LDAP server. Ensure that the server is accessible, Exchange services are running on the server, and the monitor service account is configured correctly.

Here are some others as well:

Event Type: Error

Event Source: AvCsServices_MC

Event Category: Error

Event ID: 1000

Time: 2:01:25 PM

Description:

Timeout waiting for AvCsMgr to start [hr = 0x000003E5]. Skipping starting of post services.

Event Source: AvNotifier_MC

Event Category: Init

Event ID: 1019

Time: 1:51:50 PM

Description:

No ports with capabilities suitable for Message Delivery.

Event Source: AvCsServices_MC

Event Category: Error

Event ID: 1116

Time: 1:51:25 PM

Description:

Error refreshing cached security key information [hr = 0x00000003].

Event Source: MSExchangeAL

Event Category: Service Control

Event ID: 8250

Time: 1:47:39 PM

Description:

The Win32 API call 'DsGetDCNameW' returned error code [0x862] The specified component could not be found in the configuration information. The service could not be initialized. Make sure that the operating system was installed properly.

Event Source: MSExchangeDSAccess

Event Category: Topology

Event ID: 2102

Time: 1:47:25 PM

Description:

Process MAD.EXE (PID=1444). All Domain Controller Servers in use are not responding:

epvm.unity.ca

Event Source: MSExchangeSA

Event Category: MAPI Session

Event ID: 9175

Time: 1:18:43 PM

Description:

The MAPI call 'OpenMsgStore' failed with the following error:

The Microsoft Exchange Server computer is not available. Either there are network problems or the Microsoft Exchange Server computer is down for maintenance.

The MAPI provider failed.

Microsoft Exchange Server Information Store

ID no: 8004011d-0526-00000000

For more information, click http://www.microsoft.com/contentredirect.asp.

Like I said in the original post, I just want to see if the backup procedure is successful. This is not a production restore and as such I am not using the same AD schema. I just want to see if Unity-specific information gets restored properly.

Thanks a lot for your help.

Regards,

Ade

But you did extend the schema, right? You can't just skip that even if you're just testing... Unity WAS up and running properly before you did the DiRT restore, right?

Which versions of DiRT are you using? What errors are in the restore log in particular?

Hi Jeff,

It's been a while!!! I kinda figured out the problem. The AvDirSynch service was trying to log on with the Local system account. I changed this to a domain admin account and Unity was able to start up. While it is up and running this way and the backup/restore seems to have done its job (great tool, by the way), could please tell me why I had this problem only after restoring Unity?

The schema was totally different because the test environment is set up as a separarte domain. I was not really looking to build a working version of Unity, all I wanted to was test the tool. I got only one error in the restore log. It was a cmbRestore routine error. What does this mean?

Thanks for your help.

Regards,

Ade

Well, the restore doesn't touch the account assignments in the SCM so I'm not sure what, exactly, happened here - if the system was up and running properly before the DiRT restore, everything should have been cool. In later versions of DiRT I make sure the local system is healthy before allowing the restore to continue, you may be running a version that didn't do that and this is why things were failing.

All the DiRT restore does is trudge around in SQL and the registry to get your new install into the same configuration as the one you backed up (accounting for new direcotries, domains, back end configurations and all that good stuff) - it doesn't fiddle with any rights or SCM items - this is the reason I want the system in a running state before DiRT hits the scene since I don't want to deal with all that good stuff if I can help it.

I can look at the restore log created by DiRT here and get a closer look at the cmbRestore error - that just means an error was thrown during the main restore routine - lots and lots of stuff going on in there. Looking at the log will help me figure out at what point it got cranky. Just go ahead and email it to me at lindborg@cisco.com. If there's something I need to fix on my side I'll post a follow up here about it...

To follow up for the kids at home... the error in the log was a minor bug where I was trying to edit/remove a branch in the registry that wasn't there in this case. This was already fixed in build 205 of the DiRT restore.

as you were...