cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

DiRT Restore

tmaurello_2
Level 1
Level 1

I will be replacing my Unity server hardware. I'm running Unity 3.1.5 UM with Exch5.5. I've looked at the DiRT training vids and read the docs. I still have one question: Is there anything that should be done to the old server/Exchange environment before performing the restore to the new server?

Once I backup the old server, do I just shut it down, or should I disconnect Unity from the Exchange 5.5 site and uninstall Unity before adding the new hardware to the site and doing the restore?

FYI - I currently have Exchange on-box, but I can change it to off-box before the backup to keep things consistent. From what I've read, I shouldn't need to do this since DiRT can restore to a different Exchange config. The server names will be different as well.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

lindborg
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

There's no need to switch from on to off box before making the backup, the DiRT restore will handle this transition for you.

It's always a good idea to run an uninstall of the old server and get rid of the server objects it creates (the example administrator/subscrier, 3 distribution lists and the unity messaging account) - these are listed at the end of the uninstall when it tells you to go remove them from the directory. This helps keep things clean so you wont have two copies of each of these floating around your directory. It wont hurt anything if you don't uninstall it but it clutters things up and can be a bit confusing down the road.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

lindborg
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

There's no need to switch from on to off box before making the backup, the DiRT restore will handle this transition for you.

It's always a good idea to run an uninstall of the old server and get rid of the server objects it creates (the example administrator/subscrier, 3 distribution lists and the unity messaging account) - these are listed at the end of the uninstall when it tells you to go remove them from the directory. This helps keep things clean so you wont have two copies of each of these floating around your directory. It wont hurt anything if you don't uninstall it but it clutters things up and can be a bit confusing down the road.

Thanks for the clarification Jeff. Just trying to keep things as clean as they can be.