cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

DiRT to mapped drive

jcarr
Level 1
Level 1

DiRT works fine with Unity 3.1.1 to the local drive. When I point it to a mapped network drive, I get the following SQL error:

BackupDiskFile::CreateMedia: Backup device 'E:\Unity Backup\UnityDBBackUp.sql' failed to create. Operating system error = 3(The system cannot find the path specified.).

All the other backup files were created successfully in that directory.

I suspect a permissions problem, but who & what? Nothing relevent in the target system event log (including security failures).

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

The other work-around we found was to create a network place under the server's "My Netowrk Places" instead of creating a mapped drive. Then the source back location would be something like - C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\NetHood\XXXXX on

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

lindborg
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Are you running this via WTS by any chance? I've seen several systems have problems with mapped drives via WTS. I've also seen problems where the share is mapped to a workstation that's not in the domain cause this error...

DiRT is not doing anything here other than calling a built in SQL stored procedure and passing the path through... it's SQL that's throwing that error so there's not a whole heck of a lot I can do.

I was connecting using WTS, but it behaves the same from the console. I've tried mapping drives on several different targets, both in the same domain and not. Must be some permissions thing, but the other files get created & written as expected. Is there some other permission that needs to be set?

Well... I'm not sure what to suggest, although I suspect you're correct about the rights thing... we used mapped dirves here in our labs to do DiRT backups all the time without problems.

Poking around on Google this morning I found a bunch of folks reporting the same types of things - the suggestion is usually to use full UNC paths (i.e. '\\otherserver\d:\mssql7\backup").

I think the problems come up here in that the context of the backup for the SQL database is using the account associated with the MSSQLSERVER service, not the account you're logged in as. I'm calling a built in stored procedure to do the backup so this account will be the guy that determins if access to that share is OK or not. Try logging in as the account that's associated with that service (assuming it's not SYSTEM) and create the mapped drive with that and see if it makes a difference.

It probably works around here without a hitch since typically we're logging in as the install accounts (i.e. the same account that install SQL and is associated with that service) when doing testing.

rafische
Level 1
Level 1

I experienced this exact same problem and finally got around it by enabling Netbios over TCP/IP in my network settings.

The other work-around we found was to create a network place under the server's "My Netowrk Places" instead of creating a mapped drive. Then the source back location would be something like - C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\NetHood\XXXXX on

that worked. (the NetBIOS over TCP/IP suggestion did not).

I assume you enabled this on both the Unity server and the system you're trying to map the network drive to, correct?

well, I spoke too soon. While DiRT reports it completed successfully, it wrote NOTHING to the target loction. BUT, there's a failure event in the Security event log for every attempt:

(target is DHCP1, the domain controller, VM01 is the Unity client) Obviously a permissions problem, but what?

Object Open:

Object Server: DS

Object Type: configuration

Object Name: CN=Configuration,DC=sjoca,DC=domain,DC=com

New Handle ID: -

Operation ID: {0,250566527}

Process ID: 268

Primary User Name: DHCP1$

Primary Domain: DOMAIN

Primary Logon ID: (0x0,0x3E7)

Client User Name: VM01$

Client Domain: DOMAIN

Client Logon ID: (0x0,0xEEF5773)

Accesses Control Access

Privileges -

Properties:

READ_CONTROL

Create Child

Delete Child

List Contents

Write Self

Delete Tree

Manage Replication Topology

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: