Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

DIRT Tool

So I'm going to be migrating my Unity off my non-supported HP server to a new DL380 G2 server from Compaq. Please confirm the steps I plan to take to do this migration. Thanks in advance...<br><br> - Copy DIRT backup files onto CD<br> - Bring down current production Unity box (HP)<br> - Install Win2K on DL380 using same server name<br> - Install service packs and hotfixes<br> - Install same exact version of Unity on DL380<br> - Using the DIRT recovery tool, restore existing config files and settings.<br> - Reboot and things should work fine.<br><br>Worst case, can I simply just turn off the Compaq box if things don't go well and revert back to my previous HP box?<br><br><br>

1 REPLY
Anonymous
N/A

Re: DIRT Tool

Those steps will work fine but be aware QA testing of DiRT only extended to the point of uninstalling the original server off the network before restoring to the new box. You cannot simply kick the new box back on line and switch back on the fly.

The synchronization process at the end of the DiRT restore will link up to mail users in the directory even if they're already stamped as a subscriber on another box. In this process it'll restamp them as subscribers on the new Unity server (which is, of course, what you want). After this has happened, however, the old Unity server will no longer recognize these guys as it's subscribers any more so if you simply switch it back on you wont be back in a running state again.

Technically you can manually force the a similiar synchronization process on the old box again using the part 2 setup with the "/sync" command line, but I've not tried this process (and neither has QA in it's DiRT testing) so you'd be in some uncharted territory.

The DiRT tools have been used by some big sites, it'll work... honest ;->. It'll also be TAC supported and ship with Unity 3.1(4).

Jeff Lindborg
Unity Technical Lead/Answer Monkey
Cisco Systems
lindborg@cisco.com
http://www.AnswerMonkey.net (new page for Unity support tools and scripts)

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content