cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Disable e-mail forwarding of voice mails (for now)

admin_2
Level 3
Level 3

CM 3.12c<br>UM 2.4.6.135<br> Exchange2000<br>TSP 3.0.2.0<br><br>Is there a simple way to stop the voice mails from being forwarded to a user's e-mail address (the former administrator upgraded and integrated Unity with his Exchange server). Problem is that everyone doesn't have speakers and also doesn't realize the implications of deleting an e-mail with an attachment they can't hear (it deletes the voice mail).<br><br>If the answer is "yes", one more question . . . can it be done on a "per user" basis or is it a global "disable"?<br><br>

6 Replies 6

kechambe
Level 7
Level 7

Unity doesn’t forward the message to a user’s mailbox. The message is store there and only there. So what you would need to do is setup a second mailbox for each user and have Unity store the voice mail in that second mailbox.

Keith

Keith Chambers
Unity Technical Lead
Unified Voice Team, San Jose
Cisco Systems

Not applicable

Does this mean I need to delete and re-create the Unity subscriber or is there a "quick" way to change the attributes of these subscribers to point to a different/second e-mail account?

Not applicable

For 3.x you'll need to remove that guy as a subscriber and recreate him on another email account if you want to do this, unfortunately... the "move subscriber info" tool I did for 2.x to handle this scenario wont work with 3.x because of all the back end changes between those two versions. I have it on my list of stuff to circle back around and do but it's a long list.

Jeff Lindborg
Unity Product Architect/Answer Monkey
Cisco Systems
lindborg@cisco.com
http://www.AnswerMonkey.net (new page for Unity support tools and scripts)

Not applicable

messages are not "forwarded" to Exchange. Unity is storing voice mail messages directly in the user's inbox that was made a subscriber. There is no private message store that is then syncronized with Exchange... this is the difference between unified and integrated message store schemes. Unity is a unified messaging scheme that uses Exchange (and soon Dominio) as it's native mail store.

The only way to keep voice mail seperate is to create different mailboxes (presumably hidden) for users that don't want VMail in their inbox. Seems like training would be a better move...

Jeff Lindborg
Unity Product Architect/Answer Monkey
Cisco Systems
lindborg@cisco.com
http://www.AnswerMonkey.net (new page for Unity support tools and scripts)

Not applicable

I was wondering about something similar I think. Is there a way to turn off VMO system wide without turning off plain old voice mail? A quick change to the CoS maybe?

It's wierd but I've run into a few cases where people wanted to turn all of VMO off for short periods.

Thanks
Mark

Not applicable

Users have been told, but change comes slow . . . deleting old e-mail is a bad habit, in this case.

The other issue is that some users have sound cards but no speakers or no sound card at all, so they delete anything they can't hear . . . oops!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: