cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Disable phone beep when put on hold

CHRIS KALETH
Level 5
Level 5

How do you disable the 'beep beep' from Call Manager when a user puts you on hold. I was told there is something you can disable in either CM or the database. We are running CCM 4.1.2 SR1

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

shaun.connor
Level 1
Level 1

Ok, I have the answer....this is what you have to do on 4.1(2) SR1

Go to service parameters and change the "tone on hold timer" from 10 to 200000 This will eliminate the beeping noise on all internal calls.

To eliminate this on any H323 gateway pstn calls you go to service parameters and click on advanced and change the "Send H225 user info message" to Use ANN for ringback

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

agopala
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

There are a couple of ways of doing this.

1. ccm service parameters. Change the duration between beeps to the highest possible number. This will play one beep when put on hold and then not do anything.

2. Play a silence file as MOH.

3. Deliberately misconfigure MOH so that the phone thinks it is playing MOH, but either the multicast stream does not reach the phone, or the MOH servers are shut down.

Hi,

I am having the same issue with the same version and a h323 gateway.....when I set the tone on hold timer to 200000, it disables the tone on any call from phone to phone, but if i gout out the h323 gateway I get a beep still....any ideas?

thanks

Who is putting who on hold? When you push the hold button on an ip phone, the CCM instructs that ip phone to play a tone.. This goes inband.

When you have a gateway, it has some setting that you need to play with.. in particular, the MRGL and if you have 'MTP required' set or not.

shaun.connor
Level 1
Level 1

Ok, I have the answer....this is what you have to do on 4.1(2) SR1

Go to service parameters and change the "tone on hold timer" from 10 to 200000 This will eliminate the beeping noise on all internal calls.

To eliminate this on any H323 gateway pstn calls you go to service parameters and click on advanced and change the "Send H225 user info message" to Use ANN for ringback

So to confirm:

When an internal or external calls me and I place them on hold they will not hear the "beep, beep" if I change the "tone on hold timer" from 10 to 200000, correct?

I noticed you had said "internal" and wanted to verify this should work for any calls put on hold

If you want this to work for any calls. You have to also change the "send H225 user info message" as per my previous post if you have a H323 gateway....otherwise if you recieve a call that comes in via a H323 gateway connected to the PSTN, the person you put on hold will still hear a beep.

Hope that helps

Sorry I forgot to mention in my previous post this is for CM 4.1.2 (we use MGCP gateways).

Ok, then changing the tone on hold timer to 200000 or 0 should get rid of the beep on any call for the MGCP gateway.....I had to change the additional setting because I have H223 Gateways.

lnthompson
Level 1
Level 1

Even though this is the ONLY solution. It is rediculous that it works this way.

Reasons why:

1. When someone selects 'None' for MOH it should mean NONE. If someone wanted it to just beep then it should have been an audio source that can be selected. Not some imbedded default.

2. Changing this timer is a global setting. What if one site wants the MOH 'Beep' and another one doesn't.

3. Did you know (I sure as heck didn't) that if you have selected None for your MOH. That you still invoke the service by pressing the hold key? Why is this significant? Because if a remote office invokes MOH Service it requires an extra DSP resource. Even if you are not playing any music or beeps it takes up DSP resources! So when you are calculating DSP's I would make sure to account for the fact that calls on hold invoke this service regardless. TAC actually had me disable the MOH Server services to prevent this, but what if another one of my sites want it?

Argh... frustration... None should be None. End of story and it should invoke any MOH services if it is set to None.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: