Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disaster recovery - changing a voice T1 to voice and data

We have four external sites connected back to our main site by T1s. Each site only has external access through the main site except for their channelised T1 which is currently used for voice data. If the main site goes down, these sites lose all external access.

What I would like to do is take the voice T1 and split the channels to carry voice and data instead of just voice. We have 2811 routers with VWIC-2MFT-T1/E1 controllers in them. Everything I read makes me think this is possible, but I was wondering if anyone has done this in the past and what will be involved? I would ask if it is easy, but nothing ever seems to be. :)

Dave

5 REPLIES
Bronze

Re: Disaster recovery - changing a voice T1 to voice and data

Just some clarification on that thread. Early in the thread, Jason asked about CAS as an option, but he didn't really want to do that. It turned out that CAS was not necessary nor desirable.

Read down through the thread and you'll see that the final solution was a combination of PRI and HDLC. PRI was used for voice and HDLC for data.

Read carefully as there was an issue in terms of the placement of B-channels in relation to D-channel. But aside from that, this is a working solution.

hi,

it can certainly be done in CAS but there is a restriction though. If you are doing H.323 then should work fine but in case of MGCP then there is a bug on fractional T1/E1. It might work in MGCP mode but that will not be TAC supported. The bug ID is-CSCed41207. The bug hold true for CAS too. In case you require assistance on config with H.323 please let me know.

hope this helps.

rgds,

subhrojyoti

A very good point. The config mentioned earlier in this thread does not work with MGCP, only H.323.

Bronze

Can you post a sample config?

I have a CAS with frac t1 (1-8 voice and 9-20 for data) with dms-500.

Thx

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content