Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Disaster Recovery

I'm aware of the Unity Failover scenario, where one Unity server can take over from a failed one, providing there is an seperate Exchange server holding the subscriber mailboxes. However, I've been asked a question about setting up a completely isolated Disaster Recovery site which will need to have a Unity server. How can I set this up without the USB dongle, which is currently plugged in to the active server? I couldn't find anything on CCO about this kind of scenario !

TIA

Chris Habberjam

5 REPLIES
Gold

Re: Disaster Recovery

The dongle is used to license the system and without it, Unity will only run with 2 ports and will cut off all recording at 15 seconds. There is no way around it.

That being said, you can still restore with DiRT to a demo system. Before you bring the disaster recovery site online you would need to put a dongle on.

If you are going to do this, make sure you're not trying to do Unified Messaging with the Disaster Recovery site unless you don't plan to restore until the failure.

Keith

I'm aware that the dongle is needed. The question is this, if there is a disaster of some nature and the primary site is destroyed to the extent that the company relocate to their DR site, how can we get Unity up and running without the now destroyed/lost dongle? Can we aquire one beforehand in readiness for such an event, without incurring the cost of another licensed system?

Chris

Cisco Employee

No, there's no provision for getting a free key to do this type of thing.

Even in 4.0 where the dongle will no longer be used you'll still need a FlexLM license file for each box (it's tied to the NIC) - you can't share one license file across multiple servers so you'll have the same issue.

If you can't support a failover scenario then two licenses will have to be purchased. I'm not sure how we'd do a free license for a completely stand alone replacement-on-the-fly type model here without exposing ourselves badly - what would stop someone from using that key on a live production system? Nothing that I can see would prevent this - the idea with the failover machine is we can ping the main box from time to time and make sure it's not being used in that way... it'll continue running for a while after the primary box goes off line but after a while it'll shut down. I can't see how we could make this work without just giving away keys.

Jeff,

Thanks for confirming this. I thought it would be the case and agree that this would leave the system open to "abuse". I'd already told the customer that this would almost certainly be the case, but I had to try!

Many thanks

Chris

Cisco Employee

You might be able to work out an arrangement where you get a "time out" license key which will be available in 4.0(1) and use that - however it'd require you get a new key generated every 30 or 60 days which seems to me like it'd be more trouble than it was worth - and sooner or later someone would forget to do it and you'd be caught with your pants around your ankles if disaster did strike.

Views
Helpful
Replies