Views
Helpful
Replies

Displaying progress message on IP Phone

shyamalbhowmik
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Group!

I would like to display a progress message to the user on the phone when he request for some data which needs a lot of processing before sending it to phone. So i would like to put a message like "Data Retrieval in progress". How can this be achieved can anyone suggest.

I am using Perl CGI to building the services.

Thanks in advance

Shyamal

4 Replies 4

aaronw.ca
Level 5
Level 5

Wouldn't you just use the CiscoIPPhoneText tag to display the message to the user?

When the user selects the action that will take some time, redirect to a web page that displays the CiscoIPPhoneText tag saying something like "Request being processed, please wait...". Put a refresh header on this page. Each time the web page is requested again (due to the refresh header.. say every 5 seconds or so) you can check to see if the processing is completed. When the processing is completed, you can perform some other action such as displaying the content to the user.

Would that work for you?

Ok i understood the concept.

But the scenario is like this when a user selects a menuitem it calls an url which connects to a databse and then retrieves the data from there,

Now i am not sure how do i implement the above mentioned concept on my application.

If i redirect to a page containing the message and then refresh it with the original page say after a certain interval it will be executing the same page once more right. And in that case it will keep on looping between the two pages.

Guide me if i am wrong.

Also how will i check whether the processing here the query execution is done or not??

Thanks and Regards

Shyamal

The idea is to have an external object (ie VB COM object or something similar) performing the operation. Your page refreshes at interval and each time it checks with the COM object to see if it has completed processing yet. If so, display the data. If not, display the wait message.

One other idea that comes to mind is to have the link that the user selects display the "please wait" message, and then immediately redirect to another page that loads the data. Not sure if this would work, but it may allow you to have the message displayed while the next page loads. There are a number of ways to try this (refresh header, redirect, etc).. try a few of them and see if one works. This is a lot easier than the COM object concept.

The syntax I use in the header for refresh/redirect is:

Content-type: text/xml

Refresh: 5 url=http://server/newurl.pl

Alternatively, you may be able to have your app push the data to the phone with the CiscoIPPhoneExecute command when it's done retrieving the data.

-Chris

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: