cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Distribution list limits in Unity

admin_2
Level 3
Level 3

A potential client insists on having the capacity to create 2000+ Distribution lists on Unity.<br>Can this be achieved and is there a limit to the number of<br>Lists/Groups that can be created, both Public (System Administrator managed) and Private (I know that Unity provides for 20 Empty Lists that can be personalised per<br>User but can this be increased?).<br><br><br>

3 Replies 3

Not applicable

There's no limit on the public groups... they are just Exchange distribution lists (you'll see them in the Exchange DL container) that we add an optional extension and voice name attribute to so you can get at them over the phone. You can add as many as you can in Exchange, they're not special. 2000+ should not present a problem at all.

Private lists, on the other hand, are stored as part of a binary blob off the mail users's record and so are limited in size. You can only get 20 on any one user and each one is limited in the number of users it can contain as a result. We can't increase this in the Exchange 5.5 framework, unfortunately.

As we move to Active Directory over the next year or so it may be possible to do something different here and open that up a bit. To date, however, I haven't heard of anyone needing more than 20 private lists per user...

Jeff Lindborg
Unity Product Architect
Active Voice Corp
jlindborg@activevoice.com

Jeff,

Has this changed at all since the original post.

We have a customer running Standalone VM v3.1.5, Exchange 2000 and native AD. Is there anyway to now increase the number of users that can be contained in a private DL?

Thanks,

Kelly

Private lists in 3.x can hold unlimited numbers of folks (I think... I added over 100 here just to test and it worked fine - I assume it's unlimited).

In 2.x we had to cram all the private list membership into the mail user record itself that lived in the Exchange 5.5 directory so space was very limited - in 3.x all that info is stored in SQL directly and isn't replicated around the directory so such limits don't apply.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: