cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Distribution Lists and SMTP addresses

timd
Level 1
Level 1

Is it OK to delete the SMTP addresses assigned to DL's if you do not want to access them externally? I saw a post "SMTP Addresses on Unaddressed Message D-List" from 2002, where it stated it should be OK, but I'm hoping I can get a confirmed, "it's no problem". One further note the customer that wants to do this has 2 Unity servers in a Digital Networking environment. Thanks!

2 Replies 2

kechambe
Level 7
Level 7

The SMTP address is required to send internal message to a DL as well. Why does the customer want to remove the address?

Thanks,

Keith

Keith, thanks for the info. The customer has a new Network Administrator and he is going through and doing a bit of cleanup, and truth be told he walked into a network that did need some cleaning up. Anyway here's what he sent to me, "I see an SMTP address associated with AllSubscribers-Unity and AllSubscriber-Unity2. Is that necessary? An internal distribution list on Exchange does not have to have an address unless people need to send emails to the list externally", and that's why I did the post.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: