cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Distribution lists

admin_2
Level 3
Level 3

Is there a way that when you send to a distribution list that is does not turn on the message light, but other messages will<br><br>

3 Replies 3

Not applicable

The notifier (which does the MWI and notification device triggers) is getting events directly from Exchange about changes in your inbox. When we get a notice that something changed we truck out there and see if you have any new voice mail messages or other new message types listed to fire delivery triggers for that account. If so, we pull the trigger.

We have no way of knowing where that message came from or how it got there so we wouldn't be able to make special provisions about messages send to public distribution lists. Exhange "flattens" the DL list for us and it's sent out just as if you had individually addressed each user in the list (see other posts on Exchange's "single instance message scheme" for more on this if you're really bored or curious).

Can I ask why this is desirable? Just curious what the application here is and if maybe there's a different solution.

Jeff Lindborg
Unity Product Architect/Answer Monkey
Cisco Systems
jlindborg@activevoice.com
http://www.AnswerMonkey.net (new page for Unity support tools and scripts)

Not applicable

this site has about 1400 users and to turn on that many light and off would really slow the system down alot... there old system is an Audix VM and it has this feature. thanks jeff

Not applicable

So it's just a lamp throttling thing...

seems kinda weird though... if the message went to a DL and landed in my inbox as a voice mail and my lamp didn't go on, would you assume that the voice mail system dropped the ball? What if that message were important (i.e. like "the building is on fire, you might want to make your way to the exits")?

Seems like introducing a "low priority" message concept might be a better solution. Don't assume that messages going to DLs are all low priority but if the sender marks any message as "low" (individual or to a DL) don't light the lamp (or trigger outdials). Seems more consistent.

just a thought.

Jeff Lindborg
Unity Product Architect/Answer Monkey
Cisco Systems
lindborg@cisco.com
http://www.AnswerMonkey.net (new page for Unity support tools and scripts)