cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

DistributionLists Container

admin_2
Level 3
Level 3

Hi all,<br><br>I recently built a Unity server for my @7k user WAN. I noticed that it created a subcontainer in my GAL's Recipients container called DistributionLists. This container currently contains only the Unity specific Unaddressed Messages, Unaddressed Faxes, System Event Messages and All Subscribers DLs.<br><br>This wouldn't be a problem, expect that my enterprise already has another container already named Distribution Lists (no space) in the GAL and I don't want my users to get confused. We usually put all DLs in that container. <br><br>Question: Do I NEED this new container as is? Can I rename it? Delete it? Hide it? What are the reprecussions?<br><br>Thanks in advance!<br><br>Myke<br><br>

2 Replies 2

Not applicable

First, as I’m sure you know you can’t move any object out of a container… joys of a hard coded distinguished name in the Exchange directory. You have to delete them and recreate them in another container… you don’t want to do that here because there are references to these DLs in a few spots in the registry. You can root through and change them if you really want, but I wouldn’t recommend it.

Yes, you can hide the DLs no problem just like you can hide subscribers so they wont show up in the address book. If this is a new install of 2.4.6 102 or later (which it sounds like it is) you should be cool. If it’s an upgrade you may need to check to see if the registry is properly configured to support hidden users and/or distribution lists (they’re set separately). Here’s a link that covers that:

http://avforums.isomedia.com/cgi-bin/showthreaded.pl?Cat=&Board=unityent&Number=2203&page=&view=&sb=&vc=1#Post2203

yes, you can rename their display name no problem… we reference them by their distinguished name and their alias.

You can change which container Unity will use to create all new DLs added via the SA if you’d like. In the registry under “HKLM\Software\Active Voice\DalEX\1.0\DistributionLists” you’ll see two keys of interest. One is called ‘root’ which indicates which directory we start in… don’t mess with this unless you have to. By default this is the recipients container under the site. Then you’ll see a “NewObjects” key which dictates which container we create new DLs in. You can change this to any container under the root container. This wont, of course, help you with the three default DLs we add.

If those three DLs are really sticking in your craw, I can pull out all the places they’re referenced and you can change the NewObjects key, delete them from the container we make, create them again in the desired container and then update the registry to point to them. I’d steer clear unless it’s a real crisis, though…

Jeff Lindborg
Unity Product Architect/Answer Monkey
Cisco Systems
lindborg@cisco.com
http://www.AnswerMonkey.net (new page for Unity support tools and scripts)

Not applicable

Thanks so much!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: