Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

DNS during W2K install

1) Not being a Windows 2000 expert by any measure, what is the significance of adding a domain name during the Active Directory (DCPROMO) installation procedure?<br><br>2) I entered the client's domain name but it says it can't access it (I know it can't be pinged but it does resolve to an IP address). Then it asks me if I want to install a DNS server. Should I install it or not?<br><br>3) If so, what settings, if any, should I choose for the DNS server?<br><br>

6 REPLIES
Anonymous
N/A

Re: DNS during W2K install

If you're installing into an existing network, you should probably point DNS to the network's DNS server.

If you are installing a standalone system you can make Unity the DNS. This uses additional system resources, and Unity shouldn't be providing DNS service for any other machines -- that's why you should use the network's DNS server if possible.

I've noticed on standalone lab systems running Win2k that it wants to use Dynamic DNS by default. This can make the boot process take a very long time, and you will see errors in the event log related to the netlogon service. I've found that disabling Dynamic DNS can speed up this process for this configuration. See MSKB article Q198767 for the registry setting to disable Dynamic DNS.

Scott Morgan
Cisco Systems TAC

I apologize for my lack of knowledge when it comes to W2K Active Directory but I have a few more questions. What would stop me from using the domain "cisco.com" or "unity.com"? Will it matter as far as Unity is concerned? Will it affect anything else?

No Unity will not care what you name your domain.
But, I hope that you are playing around with AD in your lab. AD is a complex puzzle that needs to be clearly understood before you go start installing it in a clients environment. The biggest problem with Ad is that it is not eacy to change once it is installed. So, my advise is, plan the AD deployment very well before you do it. There is a lot of incormation available on the Microsoft site about this.

Anil Verma
Cisco Systems
anilve@cisco.com

I am "playing around" with this "complex puzzle" in my lab but at some point in the very near future it will be installed at the client site. It was not my choice to install Unity 3.x this week but rather the telephony design changed yesterday which now requres Unity 3.x. If I was installing 2.4.6 we wouldn't be having this conversation. All I am trying to do is get information on the best way to install this thing in my lab and then install it next week at the client site. It seems quite simple. It's going to be a stand-alone voicemail server on a network that has no Active Directory. The only questions I have are what are the significance and implications of the DNS server choices I make. I can find nothing in the Unity documentation to explain it and I do not have time to become 2000 certified by the end of next week.

Anonymous
N/A

I understand your frustration… all you want to do is install Unity and get out. I hear you, however asking us to impart to you all the information you need to install Windows 2000/DNS/AD/etc… in a few snappy posts is clearly unreasonable. My policy out on this forum is to try and stick to questions about Unity and it’s integration with other systems. You are asking very basic questions about Windows 2000 installation that have nothing at all to do with Unity itself.

First, I’m extremely dubious that the site doesn’t already have a DNS server. If they have DNS they have Active Directory. It would be difficult to install a reasonably robust Windows 2000 network and not have Active Directory. It’d essentially be a lame peer to peer network that would be next to useless. Everything that’s of value in Windows 2000 (and Exchange 2000 etc…) rides on top of Active Directory.

I’m betting big that we’re not getting an accurate picture of the customer’s existing network setup here which is reason #1 why I try not to get dragged into questions involving network configuration issues external to Unity. You need to know what you’re doing before walking onto a customer’s site to install anything. If not, you need to get someone who does to get out there an help you. You’re flirting with disaster in a big way otherwise.

That said… If you’re installing into an existing network, use the DNS server that’s there. Using Unity as a fully stand alone server is a last resort and we don’t recommend doing that. This is normally for voice mail only installations where a Windows network is not already in place. If you’re installing in that fashion then yes, install DNS and Active Directory on the Unity server and I’d recommend not connecting our box to their network. If they want access to the Unity server via the SA/AA and the like, we strongly (very strongly) recommend you install the Unity server as part of the customer’s existing Windows domain. Unless this site is beyond bizarre, they have a domain setup already. If the domain name doesn’t resolve for you during installation of Windows 2000, you have a problem you need to work out. I can’t really speculate on what that problem would be without being on site and seeing what’s going on, however.

Jeff Lindborg
Unity Product Architect/Answer Monkey
Cisco Systems
lindborg@cisco.com
http://www.AnswerMonkey.net (new page for Unity support tools and scripts)

Anonymous
N/A

1) Not being a Windows 2000 expert by any measure, what is the significance of adding a domain name during the Active Directory (DCPROMO) installation procedure?

2) I entered the client's domain name but it says it can't access it (I know it can't be pinged but it does resolve to an IP address). Then it asks me if I want to install a DNS server. Should I install it or not?

3) If so, what settings, if any, should I choose for the DNS server?

---
Quick thoughts on the info above...
- If you can ping the address, but not resolve it, then the DNS on your TCP/IP is not giving you the correct info. If necessary, use Hosts file found in c:\winnt\sytem32\drivers\etc to specify the necessary resolved address
- If this is the first dcpromo you do, and this is the root of the forest, you should be able to install DNS directly without having to point to a specific location. If this is a domain, then the DNS should point to the forest's DNS server initially so that you can snag the GC server info, etc from the Dynamic DNS on that server
- If it takes you a long time to log on, I suggest that you set up the w2k server that has your Dynamic DNS as your first DNS resolver in your IP address. Otherwise you will (literally) look the world over for the correct address, and ultimately end up with a broadcast resolution.

thanks
m

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content