cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Do I need a gatekeeper for a WAN with only 1 call manager cluster?

patrick.hurley
Level 3
Level 3

Do I need a gatekeeper for a WAN with only 1 call manager cluster?

4 Replies 4

gary.shaw
Level 1
Level 1

Im not sure that I entirely understand the question, are you saying that you have a single callmanager cluster with callmanagers at either side of a WAN?

If so, the answer is no, you do not need a gatekeeper, you can control the amount of voice traffic between the two sites by using locations.

If thats not the question could you explain it in a bit more detail.

Thanks

Gary

A primary and secondary call manager at one location. I read in the documentation that you only need a gatekeeper if you have call managers across the WAN from each other. Is that the case?

I think your after the simple answer, no you dont need one in your case, as all your CM's are at the same location.

Your correct a gatekeeper is used to control bandwidth between two CallManager clusters.

jimmi1015
Level 1
Level 1

Assuming your network includes remote sites located across an IP WAN from where your cluster resides, you can use the locations feature of CM for Call Admission Control. You may also want to implement a low bandwidth codec, for example, a G.729a or a G.723, for calls that cross the IP Wan using the regions feature in CM. This feature will allow you to use G.711 for calls that don't cross the IP WAN but use a relatively large amount of bandwidth (64k) and use a lower bandwidth consuming codec for calls that do transit the IP WAN. By using a lower bandwidth codec you'll be able to permit more simultaneous calls across the IP WAN without saturating your WAN capacity.

Keep in mind that one of the functions of a Gatekeeper is Call Admission Control (CAC). Since your network only has 1 CM cluster, all phones are registered with the same cluster and therefore, when you use the locations feature which allows you to specify where your phones are, the CM cluster will be aware of how much bandwidth is being used at any time. So, the CM cluster itself can handle the CAC function. However, when your network consists of multiple clusters which are remotely located from one another, you should use a Gatekeeper.