cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

DOH Object - CallHandler

admin_2
Level 3
Level 3

In trying to add a user to Unity 2.4.5.135, I see the users ID, but it has the incorrect server. Unity is running Exchange 5.5 on box, but users are all homed to another Exchange server in the same Site/Org. When I attempt to add the user, it pulls up a user homed under the Unity box. In looking at the DOH, I can see the call handler associated with the user, but there is no mail user associated with it. Will DBWalker help fix this?<br><br>--Cael

10 Replies 10

Not applicable

DBWalker should help with that "orphaned" call handler.

Steve Olivier
Software Engineer
Cisco Systems

Not applicable

I ran DBWalker with no "remove" options turned on just to see if it gave an error, and for this particular CH_ it output this in the log:
Handler Alias=ch_SchwaWH
Extension=1869
Location Object Alias=default
Handler owner alias=SchwaWH
Handler message recipient alias=SchwaWH
Handler location object alias=default
After Message Action Destination Alias =goodbyech
Schedule=Weekdays
Standard greeting 'after greeting' destination Alias = set for hangup
Off Hours greeting 'after greeting' destination Alias = set for hangup
Alternate greeting 'after greeting' destination Alias = set for hangup
Busy greeting 'after greeting' destination Alias = set for hangup
Internal greeting 'after greeting' destination Alias = set for hangup
Error greeting 'after greeting' destination Alias =openinggreetingch
1 menu entry key 'after greeting' destination Alias =None, that's OK.
2 menu entry key 'after greeting' destination Alias =None, that's OK.
3 menu entry key 'after greeting' destination Alias =None, that's OK.
4 menu entry key 'after greeting' destination Alias =None, that's OK.
5 menu entry key 'after greeting' destination Alias =None, that's OK.
6 menu entry key 'after greeting' destination Alias =None, that's OK.
7 menu entry key 'after greeting' destination Alias =None, that's OK.
8 menu entry key 'after greeting' destination Alias =None, that's OK.
9 menu entry key 'after greeting' destination Alias =None, that's OK.
0 menu entry key 'after greeting' destination Alias =operatorch
* menu entry key 'after greeting' destination Alias =operatorch
# menu entry key 'after greeting' destination Alias =None, that's OK.

And it reported no errors or warnings. Looking at the DOH though, there is definitely no record corresponding to the Alias listed in the DBWalker output. I will run it now with the "remove orphaned" turned on, but is that normal to see no warning or error about the orphan CH_ ?

--Cael

Not applicable

It does seem a little odd that if the mail user "SchwaWH" is non-existant, that this would come back without errors. Let's see if Jeff wants to chime in on this one.

Steve Olivier
Software Engineer
Cisco Systems

Not applicable

I found a fix. I ran the IMPORT utility and was able to succesfully add the user. Very strange behavior though, anyone have an idea as to why this CH_ was only partially created when we tried to add it initially? And associated to the wrong Echange box?

--Cael

Not applicable

could be related to a 2.x bug that's cropped up periodically if the subscriber template gets fouled up. Did you ever see "an unknown error has occured" error pop up when creating users from the SA at any point? The bug was related to the SA not properly cleaning up the template after this happened and you'd end up having subscribers pointing to a shared call handler. dbWalker does make checks for the basic possibilities there (i.e. it'll make sure both the subscriber and its primary call handler point to each other) so it should have popped some sort of error up if that was the case.

If that call handler were really stranded it would have put an error up. It was likely pointing to another user. I'd have to get into DPT on that box and rummage around to see what the case was.

Which IMPORT did you run? You mean importing the user from Exchange via the SA?

Jeff Lindborg
Unity Product Architect/Answer Monkey
Cisco Systems
lindborg@cisco.com
http://www.AnswerMonkey.net (new page for Unity support tools and scripts)

Not applicable

I could not get any SA function to add the user, either Import or creating new for that UserID. I had to use the Import utility in Start => Programs => Unity. I ran that and it did not error out as I thought it would so that was a plus.

The very first time we tried to add that user we used the SA to import from the user from the Exchange server. Selected the user, and it apprared to begin creating and returned with something like, "Object has been Deleted!" I can't recall exactly the error right now. That's when I started looking in DPT and Exchange Admin, thinking that the create process failed somewhere along the way. I am trying to figure out what could have caused that failure to occur.

The other question is, since the problem with this user first popped up, I did a complete uninstall/reinstall of Unity. Shouldn't that have cleared the bogus CH?

Not applicable

If you uninstalled using the uninstall tool and not just removing Unity and reinstalling then yes, it would clear the call handler. Unless you stripped all users of their subscriber data and remove the Unity folder at the site level in Exchange (tasks done by the uninstaller) then all those objects and references remain in the Exchange directory even if you reinstall Unity. This could also explain some of your problems... if dbWalker sees that a call handler is associated with a mail user (ANY mail user) it'll give it a pass. This includes if it thinks the handler is associated with a user on another Unity server in the organization. If the removal wasn't done cleanly it'll think handlers/objects left floating in the directory may be associated with another Unity box (the system IDs may roll when you install, even on the same box as before). It's a possibility anyway, but that's just a guess without looking at your system.

Jeff Lindborg
Cisco Systems
lindborg@cisco.com

Not applicable

I did use the uninstall tool to completely remove Unity from the system. I verified that the exchange users, specifically the one in question, had the Unity properties removed. Once I was happy that all Unity references had been removed I reinstalled. Unity came back to a "clean install" with only the defaults listed. When I tried to add the same problem subscriber again, I selected the user using the SA import from Exchange, and added, then the SA reported, "That object has been deleted!" and we went back to square one. That's when I figured I should try the BulkImport utility, because I have other cases where the SA was hosed, and the BulkImport could add users. Very strange I thought, but it works, so go with it.

--Cael

Not applicable

Were there any errors reported by the uninstall process? The message you indicate is exactly what you'll see if a primary call handler for a deleted subscriber is left around and you go to add that user back as a subscriber. The Import utility in the program group handles that situation I think by just deleting it on the fly or reusing it where it stands... If I remember correctly the SA throws an error in some cases with that situation. You can verify this by looking for a primary call handler under the Unity\CallHandlers folder in Exchange (under the site container) and looking to see if the primary call handler for that guy exists before you create the subscriber. The alias with be "CH_"

Jeff Lindborg
Cisco Systems
lindborg@cisco.com

Not applicable

OK, I ran it with the "Automatically Remove Orphaned Call Handlers" options on, and again it reported 0 warnings, 0 errors. Log shows no removal of that CH_ and it still appears in the DOH. Any other ideas?

--Cael

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: