cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Domain Change

mcolarusso
Level 1
Level 1

I am about to undergo a restructure in my Active Directory design. This will require moving my unity server to a new domain. I am already aware of the necessary steps to move exchange, but I wanted to make sure Unity would be ok. <br><br>

3 Replies 3

Not applicable

How are you going to "move" exchange 5.5 to a new domain? Doesn't that basically boil down to a reinstall? In the past when I've tried such manuvers with 5.5 it usually ended up being a rebuild and using tools like exMerge to save my directory/messages. In cases like that you have to reinstall Unity (you can use export/import tools to save your Unity data, however).

Unity's health will be directly tied to the process of moving Exchange here. We link all our objects through the ObjectID (basically the distinguished name with some object type info tacked on). Anything that changes those values or breaks our links to any of the objects, accounts, directories etc.. in Ex5.5 will cause all kinds of pain in Unity.

Maybe you can recap how you plan to move Exchange for this operation? The official story is you'll have to reinstall Unity but I'm curious if you're going about this in a smarter way than I've done in the past. Perhaps you can do an export of your Unity data first as a safety measure and we can try a "hot swap" domain change. if it doesn't work you'll have to rebuild Unity and run the import (presuming your running 2.4.6 build 102 or later).

Jeff Lindborg
Unity Product Architect/Answer Monkey
Cisco Systems
lindborg@cisco.com
http://www.AnswerMonkey.net (new page for Unity support tools and scripts)

Not applicable

Jeff,
Has AV come up with a simpler way to change domains? Isn't there a doh change that can be made instead of reloading?

Thanks,
Dan

Not applicable

Actually, this is out of our hands. Unity in and of itself doesn't really care about the domain we're in directly. The DOH (our database wrapper) talks directly to Exchnage in 2.x and it's Exchange that will give you fits here. You simply can't yank an Exchange server out of a domain and put it into another domain or change it's domain. It populates it's security descriptors all over the place which embeds the domain info. If you change it, Exchange will not be happy. If Exchange is not happy, Unity is not happy.

Jeff Lindborg
Unity Technical Lead/Answer Monkey
Cisco Systems
lindborg@cisco.com
http://www.AnswerMonkey.net (new page for Unity support tools and scripts)