cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

dongle question

kimberly
Level 1
Level 1

My company bought additional ports from Cisco. Cisco emailed me the upgrade code but I am afraid to apply it to our live system. <br><br>I have had no luck with upgrade codes. So far every upgrade code we have been sent had the wrong information in it & the unity system failed to work till we were emailed a new code a whole day later. We can not accept any downtime like that again.<br><br>I wanted to know, could I test out the upgrade code on a test Unity server first? Could I update from 4 to 8 ports on the test server & see if it works first? If sucessful, could I then use the old code to downgrade the dongle from 8 ports back to 4 so I could put the dongle back on our live system & then do the port upgrade on our live system?<br><br>Can dongles be upgraded & then downgraded & then upgraded again? <br><br>Do dongles keep hardware spec information like amount of RAM or Hard drive size?<br><br>

6 Replies 6

kechambe
Level 7
Level 7

For the record; there are almost never problems like that one you are preparing for.

The code that you have for that dongle will only work on that dongle. Since you can upgrade and downgrade a dongle you can save the current code if you like and revert back to it if you have any problems.

To get your current code go to the Upgrade License tool and click on 'Generate current system code'. Cut and paste that sting to notepad.

Keith

Keith Chambers
Unity Technical Lead
Unified Voice Team, San Jose
Cisco Systems
kechambe@cisco.com

Well, we have had 2 bad codes sent to us already & they caused live systems at both sites to be down for a day while we waited for a new code to be emailed back to us.

So if my new code turns out to be bad I can just revert back to the old code, if I saved the old code in advance to the upgrade?

I need to assure my supervisor that this is a 100% fix for any key code problem I run into. They are hestitant about letting me upgrade the system again, period.

Not applicable

Yes, if you save the current key code, you can revert back to it later.

Scott Morgan
Cisco Systems TAC

I will tell my supervior that saving the current key code will guarantee that the Unity system will stay up & running even if the new update code is bad.

Thanks.

You can even send him this URL if you like. :)

Keith

Keith Chambers
Unity Technical Lead
Unified Voice Team, San Jose
Cisco Systems
kechambe@cisco.com

Not applicable

In addition, Kimberly, I think that some of the past problems you guys had were in one of two situations:
1. We were doing something 'out of the ordinary' for a customer, and doing things out of the normal process introduces room for error.
2. Problems with upgrades from 2.4.0 to 2.4.5, where IP integration setting changed from None to TAPI.

If this upgrade doesn't fall into that category, you have every reason to be 100% confident.

Jami Stewart
Cisco Systems

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: