Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Door Phone Application using UCM, VG248 & Bogen ADP1 Phone

I recently set up a bunch of single-button, outdoor door phones to call the front desk of a large building. Wanted to share my configuration notes in case anyone else runs into the same application.

This configuration would be applicable to anyone who needed to install a door phone, or other automatic-ringdown phone (like you would find in a hotel lobby) where the phone needs to dial a specific number the moment it goes off-hook.

If anyone has suggestions for how to improve or refine this application, please post! I'm especially interested in creative work-arounds for increasing the volume of the speaker phone.

In my case I was using a VG248 analog voice gateway, CallManager version 7.1(3), and Bogen model ADP1 door phones.

For automatic ringdown door phones to work, quite a few things have to be programmed and configured correctly:

Automatic Ringdown Functionality

• Create new Route Partition for Door Phones.
  • Create new Translation Pattern and leave "Translation Pattern" field empty. Set Calling Search Space = a CSS that contains the directory number to be called by the door phone (front desk etc...). Uncheck "Provide Outside Dial Tone." Set "Called Party Transform Mask" = the DN to be dialed by the door phone (the DN for the front desk for example).
  • Door Phone Directory Numbers: Assign each to door phone Route Partition. Set Calling Search Space = "None." Set Display and ASCII Display (Internal Caller ID) fields = to some name that identifies the door (ie "Delivery Door"). Set Maximum Number of Calls = 1. Set Busy Trigger = 1. If door phone is dialing an off-premise number, set External Phone Number Mask = the phone number you want to display for outgoing caller ID (assuming you are set up for control of outgoing caller ID at this level).
  • VG248 Device Port Configuration (in CallManager): Set Calling Search Space = door phone CSS. Set "Call Control Mode" = "Standard." Set "MWI" = "None." Set "Disconnect Supervision" = "Enabled."
  • VG248 Device Port Configuration (in VG248 via Telnet): Go to Configure > Telephony > Port Specific Parameters. Highlight port used by door phone. Arrow down to "Call Supervision Method." Press Enter, change to "drop loop current." This is essential else door phone will not disconnect when destination CallManager phone hangs up. No way to set this parameter within CallManager apparently (as of 7.1 anyway).
  • VG248 "Advanced Settings" (via Telnet): Leave "Port busy signaling" = "none." FYI, turning this on causes the door phone to attempt to park calls on the station it called last -- continuously until you physically unplug it to make it disconnect...Chaos.).

Configuration of Bogen ADP1 Door Phone

:
  • Disable the "Auto Answer" jumper. You can't call it anyway.
  • Set "Mic Level" POT to maximum.
  • Set "Spkr Volume" POT to maximum. You need all the volume you can get.
  • "Timer Duration" jumper. On this, you need to make a judgement call. If set to "Enabled," ALL calls made from the door phone will time out and disconnect after X seconds (as determined by the "Timer Duration" POT on the device. The advantage of enabling the disconnect timer is that you don't have to worry so much about what happens if the destination telephone rings unanswered. If set to "disabled" ,If no one answers the door phone call, you run the risk of leaving the door phone off-hook indefinitely while it broadcasts a reorder tone via speaker. When "enabled," the maximum length of the conversation you will be having between the door phone and the destination phone will be between 15 seconds and 2 minutes (the min and max range of the "Timer Duration" POT). My recommendation is to enable the disconnect timer jumper, and set the timer duration to maximum value of 2 minutes. This would cover most conversations and still gives you piece of mind that the phone will absolutely go back on hook after 2 minutes no matter what.
  • Mark the little green connector used to connect the analog pair with a Sharpie to indicate the positions of Tip and Ring before you remove the pre-made RJ-11 lead (chances are you will be connecting bare wires, not a phone cord). In case you already removed it and discovered there are no T & R markings on the phone, T is closest to the on-board transformer.

Caveats:

• Calling is one-way only, from door phone to destination phone. Destination phone's CSS can't include the Door Phone partition else every time it goes off-hook, it will begin dialing (just like the door phone).
  • Volume of ADP1 speaker is not especially loud. Unfortunately you can't increase the gain in the VG248 because each analog port is already set to default value of 0 db. You can only reduce the gain with the adjustment parameters available in the VG248.  If your door phone is in a noisy environment, the person making the door phone call may have difficulty hearing the conversation.

3 REPLIES
Hall of Fame Super Red

Re: Door Phone Application using UCM, VG248 & Bogen ADP1 Phone

Hey Scott,

Thanks for posting up this great documentation for others

to use This type of kind gesture is very valuable to the

Community and will provide a nice solution for members who

want this type of setup. Great stuff!!

Cheers!

Rob

Super Bronze

Re: Door Phone Application using UCM, VG248 & Bogen ADP1 Phone

Hi Scott

A wee pointer - it should be possible to dial back to the door phone, if you configure things like so:

VG248 port has a CSS that includes (for example) PLAR_DOORPHONES partition, which has the blank translation to simulate PLAR.

VG248 DN should be in a seperate partition (or even your normal internal partition if you like), which can freely be added to CSSs etc as it doesn't contain the PLAR translation pattern.

The thing to remember is that the paths from the phone (i.e. the phones' CSS and it's partitions containing the PLAR translation) and the path to the phone (i.e. the phone DNs partition and any CSSs that include it) can be completely independant.

Regards

Aaron

Aaron Please remember to rate helpful posts to identify useful responses, and mark 'Answered' if appropriate!

Great post, BUT, why use

Great post, BUT, why use analogue gateways. I have tired commend, CyberData and Castel external door phones. The easiest to install was the outdoor Cisco SIP intercom by the endpoint warehouse

For anyone (Cisco dealers or end users ) looking for secure entry to integrate to their Cisco UC systems, this is an easy add on. 

It sits on the Cisco telephony network as a SIP enabled IP endpoint. Connection is fast and hassle free on a single LAN cable. 

Commend was 2nd to this, but a little more tricky to install. We needed to install an additional server. Where are the CyberData option has built in Cisco SRST.  

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content